Desperately need driver for a Matishta DVD-RAM UJ-822S

vbimport

I’m a newbie and I’ve also been out of the loop for awhile. In the process of trying to speed up the start up in this old IBM ThinkPad T43 I completely uninstalled Roxio, because it had been uninstalled before so I was just removing extra files found by revo uninstaller. Unfortunately now my dvd drive will not work. I’ve been looking online for driver updaters and all of them require a purchase to download the updated drivers. I need the driver for my Matishta DVD-RAM UJ-822S, because even widows updater will not find the drive to update the drivers!!! Please help.

Drivers for optical drives are contained within the operating system itself, and are not available for download separately. If you have a restore point made prior to you using revo uninstaller, try going back to it.

Or you might try a Repair Installation of the operating system. It is always prudent to back up your files prior to doing this.

And you can try the Microsoft Fix-it tool for optical drives, though I generally find it to be a waste of time. http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Unfortunately the restore point created by revo didn’t work, none of them did. I also don’t have the original restore/installation cd as this laptop is quite old, though I do have the original registration key. I’ll have to try the fix it tool you mentioned. Hmm I also just noticed AVG has adriver updater tool. If it works that’ll be awesome.

The Microsoft fix it tool was completely useless as remarked. AVG didn’t work because it requires an upgrade to the full paid version of AVG of which I cannot afford. If that was the case then I would have purchased a driver updater program. I did download the free driver download program but it didn’t detect half the drivers I needed the paid ones do. Is there any easier way to solve my problem and use this laptop at its fullest?

You can uninstall the optical drive in Device Manager and let the operating system find the “new” hardware when you reboot the computer. This might, or might not help.

In the faint hope that you have a filter problem, you can use this guide to remove Upper and Lower filters and see if that works: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

But a restore disc might be the best solution.

Have you tried CD Burner XP?

[QUOTE=madmaxneo;2684040]I’m a newbie and I’ve also been out of the loop for awhile. In the process of trying to speed up the start up in this old IBM ThinkPad T43 I completely uninstalled Roxio, because it had been uninstalled before so I was just removing extra files found by revo uninstaller. Unfortunately now my dvd drive will not work. I’ve been looking online for driver updaters and all of them require a purchase to download the updated drivers. I need the driver for my Matishta DVD-RAM UJ-822S, [B]because even widows updater will not find the drive to update the drivers!!![/B] Please help.[/QUOTE]

There is [B]absolutely no need[/B] to update the driver!
The driver comes with the OS and is a standard driver for optical drives.

Unfortunately for the windows XP I had that wasn’t true. If that was the case then it would have found the files when I searched for them or did a repair, but it didn’t. In fact it wasn’t until I installed win 7 that I finally got it to work. Oddly enough the drive did partially work with drivers windows found online. But only as a cd player and not a full dvd player. Thanks anyway.

Install imgburn, and give that rubbish “roxio” the flick.

Imgburn will

• backup (to image on hdd) and write the image to a new cd/dvd/BD.
  • write files to cd/dvd/BD
  • backup/write compliant video dvd/bd’s.

Perhaps someone can help you with anything else you need.
Imgburn is tiny and doesn’t require a bunch of crappy memory resident programs to do its job either.

Windows xp, Vista and Windows 7 have basic cd/dvd writing functionality built into the operating system. Not sure about Windows 8.
Windows burning program is to slow, cumbersome, and basic for my liking.

Optical drives do not require any “custom” drivers to work under Windows, although the pata/sata controller may need drivers … But if this was the case, they wouldn’t be detecting your drive at all.