Desperate for Help. How to limit to 1x/2x

vbimport

hello guys.
I have serious problem. About 80% my Recordings fail. They just stuck on some specific percentage and don’t advance for hours, or gives out some error.
I bought it as Sony 22a drive, but already tried to reflash it with Lite-on 1633s and Sony710A firmwares to no difference at all. it reads every disks, writes regular cds at 40x w/o a problem, but when it comes to Dvd writing - it just auful.
I’ve tried various settings, and various media and almost all of them failed, but recently i bought some old Ritek disks, that support only 2x, and another DVD-RW that support 1x only. - And all these disks succeeded.

From this i deduce that my drive or system cannot support speeds above 2x.
This is maybe because of my pretty old system:
Pentium 3-750mhz (100mhz bus), 384mhz sdram , windows2000, 10gb disk (5400rpm) All my recordings are made from network drive (100mbps-based).

I really don’t care about recording speed - I would be super happy to write all disks at 1x speed. But the problems is that with most disks I have Minimum 4x speed and above (6x, 8x) So what can i do???
I tried OmniPatcher - really wonderful program - but most of modia models aren’t there - so i cannot lower their speed from 4x to, say 2x or 1x
PLease help!!
How can i limit my recordings to 1x or 2x?
Tia

this drive cant burn @speeds lower than 4x. if it never worked with dvds you should RMA it.

this drive cant burn @speeds lower than 4x

Sure it can. As i wrote, i bought some old disks that only support 2x and 1x and i burnt them successfully.
What is RMA?

[Edit]
I hink i found the solution:
Occasionally i saw this thread:
MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool for DVD-Writers
So i limited my current media from (4x,6x,8x) to (1x and 2x) And i have succesfully written 2 disks at 2x - same disks that failed 3 times in a row at 4x
Excellent program. If you have slow computer and can’t support large speeds - MediaCodeSpeedEdit is a must.

the drive can not burn lower than 4x speed. hardwarewise it’s not possible. if it never worked ok with dvds, you should bring it back to where you bought it.

i have yet to see a dvd burner which cant burn slower than 4x… the only limit im aware of is of +R format, that is 2.4x

One DVD “X” is about 9 CD “X”, so if the system can feed it for 40x CD-R speed, it should handle 4x DVD.

Bad drive / bad media, I would say.

It’s definitely capable of going down to 1x (DVD-RW), 2x (DVD-R) and 2.4x (DVD+R/RW) as those are supported speeds for some older media in the drive firmware.

I’m surprised that media takes the addition of speeds lower than specified, any better than it takes the addition of higher speeds - as the “3S” chipset drives generally do not take simple speed editing.

@ junglemike
Good job on seeking out ala42’s excellent MCSE tool and finding a solution to your problem! Thanks also for sharing your solution as it may help others :iagree: .

You can check your burn results with Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison :cool: ). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean :wink: . PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. Attaching disc quality scans to your post of any offending discs will help us help you :smiley: .

Was 1x and 2x burning checked in MCSE before ? The firmware might not have a writing strategy for those speeds, so check your burns with kprobe or cdspeeds.
In case these low speeds were available in MCSE before, which burning software did you use ? If you select 1x,2x,4x, does your burning software allow 1x and 2x burning ?

Have you checked that UDMA2 is enabled on you drive ?
Can you burn your CD-R without speed reduction when the data is coming from the network ?
How fast can you copy your network based source file to your local harddisk ?
Did you burn large image files or many small files when you got problems @4x write speed ?
Does burning @4x work from the local hard disk ?

I also have a old P3-800 384MB RAM,
So I can confirm it Can Burn DVDr at
least at 4x.

Your problem look like a system problem,
like UDMA is disable at your burner channel…

Thanks guys for you input

Was 1x and 2x burning checked in MCSE before ? The firmware might not have a writing strategy for those speeds, so check your burns with kprobe or cdspeeds.
In case these low speeds were available in MCSE before, which burning software did you use ? If you select 1x,2x,4x, does your burning software allow 1x and 2x burning ?

I don’t know what you mean by “strategy”. I simply loaded MCSE, loaded Sony710A firmware file, than added my media label since it wasn’t there (something infodisc…). I loaded it via DVD identifier, as was explained in help file, than near to my media’s name there were only 4x 6x and 8x speeds checked - same ones i saw in Nero before. I unchecked them , and checked 1x and 2x instead, than saved the patched firmware and reflashed the drive. Then sucessfully wrote disks at 2x (i suppose 1x would work too, didn’t try.)

Have you checked that UDMA2 is enabled on you drive ?
Can you burn your CD-R without speed reduction when the data is coming from the network ?
How fast can you copy your network based source file to your local harddisk ?
Did you burn large image files or many small files when you got problems @4x write speed ?
Does burning @4x work from the local hard disk ?

The network drive is 2xScsi 36gb disks, network drive is very fast, when copying a 700mb file from network to lacal hdd - it takes 2minutes. In all numerous previous cases, when writing failed- there was little disk activity, and very low cpu usage, and full buffer. Before that i have these problems:

1. Nero just stuck on some percentage (say, 18%) and wouldn’t move on for hours, i even couldn’t close it unless i used end task.
  2. I was getting “writing failed” somhere in the middle of writing
  3. most of all - i have failures at the very end, when it wrote “writing lead out”
    I also tried some 5-6 types of various media, since i thought that it is media was faulty.

Good job on seeking out ala42’s excellent MCSE tool and finding a solution to your problem! Thanks also for sharing your solution as it may help others .

You can check your burn results with Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison ). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean . PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. Attaching disc quality scans to your post of any offending discs will help us help you .

Thanks for your suggestions. I run Kprobe2 and results was very good (pi~20,po~2)
This only confirms my suggestion that it’s not faulty media problem

I’m surprised that media takes the addition of speeds lower than specified, any better than it takes the addition of higher speeds - as the “3S” chipset drives generally do not take simple speed editing.

Not sure what you mean - but my logical assumption was that it will not harm reducing the speed anyway, it might harm encreasing it. Isn’t it right?

Yes, it is not right :). Using a firmware with patched configuration data gives unpredictable results when your config is out of the usual range. Just as an example, the firmware might use the burn speed to access a table to set up the laser power. Usualy the table is accessed with 4x,6x or 8x speed. If you access the table with 1x, there are no suitable values, garbage is loaded and used to set up the laser power which could even burn out the laser.
A failsave firmware implementation would see that 1x burning is not allowed with this table and did not even start the burn. A less failsave implementation would check the values used to set up the laser power and ignore them, saving the laser.

Your kprobe scans are fine, so it seams you were lucky to use a write strategy at your first try for your media that gives fine results.
When even the latest firmware does not support your media, the chances are high that it is crap and that it is not suitable for long term storage. You should rescan these disks in a month or two.