Desktop PCs are bouncing back

vbimport

Desktop PCs are bouncing back.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/03/4U1a1K.jpg[/newsimage]Desktop computers are suddenly hot again, seeing double-digit growth in the new year.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/desktop-pcs-are-bouncing-back-27497/](http://www.myce.com/news/desktop-pcs-are-bouncing-back-27497/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

a lot of people put off buying until windows seven now it is just catching up

[QUOTE=samlar;2504120]a lot of people put off buying until windows seven now it is just catching up[/QUOTE]
:iagree:
During the vista debacle, my workplace extended our buying schedule to every 4 years … and anything we bought got win XP :stuck_out_tongue:

We still try to get XP machines if possible, but we are gradually switching over to Windows 7.

Well, I think sales of PCs are picking up for a few reasons:
What to know what they are? Sure you do.

1. Vista was a chrome-plated turd, and consumers wanted to wait to see whether Windows 7 was worth their money. Looks like Windows 7 rocks, so out come the wallets.

2. Some good games are on the horizon, like Crysis 2 and Deus Ex 3. Gotta be ready with new hardware (ATI 5850/5870) and software (Windows 7/DirectX 11).

3. People just want to get in some quality PC time before the apocalypse in 2012.

C++ is a loaded machine gun pointed at your feet with the safety off.

[QUOTE=samlar;2504120]a lot of people put off buying until windows seven now it is just catching up[/QUOTE]

No kidding. I heard just talk about my work place switching the current XP computer over to Win7. I was like no way…because I use W7x64 ult at home and love it althought I won’t marry it yet… :p. But so far it is a good program for my current setup I don’t know how it will fair with a laptop with slow cpu speed and less ram as my desktop is 3.0G and 4G ram and runs good with it but I do have GTX260 Black GPU for games and DVD playback.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2504250]Well, I think sales of PCs are picking up for a few reasons:
What to know what they are? Sure you do.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2504250]1) Vista was a chrome-plated turd, and consumers wanted to wait to see whether Windows 7 was worth their money. Looks like Windows 7 rocks, so out come the wallets.[/QUOTE]

That about looks like it so far unlike Mojave aka vista scams… :Z

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2504250]2) Some good games are on the horizon, like Crysis 2 and Deus Ex 3. Gotta be ready with new hardware (ATI 5850/5870) and software (Windows 7/DirectX 11).[/QUOTE]

Not only ATI, Nvidia is also coming out with a totally new GPU architecture as well to push Win7/Direct 11 as well.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2504250]3) People just want to get in some quality PC time before the apocalypse in 2012.
[/QUOTE]

What … the last 10 years was the apocalypse and this new century the rebirth of people starting to think common sense or pragmatic approach.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2504255]Not only ATI, Nvidia is also coming out with a totally new GPU architecture as well to push Win7/Direct 11 as well.[/QUOTE]

Well, there’s a few holes in that statement.
Want to know what they are? Sure you do.

Fermi’s flagship card (GTX 480) will probably be a bit more powerful than ATI’s 5870, but I have no doubt it will be hotter, bigger, and way more expensive. Also, the chips will be in short supply as the failure rate is currently sitting at more than 50%. Yeah, good luck, Nvidia.

Nvidia GTX 480 - 250W TDP
ATI HD 5870 - 188W TDP
Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18170/1/

Fermi failure rate more than 50%
Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18172/1/

Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?

ATI person here. They last.

I’m so old …

I remember when Nvidia was the underdog. Wait! … oh never mind. I remember when all this will happen again :iagree:

Something to think about 15 years ago … 16bit colour won’t be good enough … and people want separate 2D video and 3D add-on cards. It’s all about choice :wink:

[QUOTE=Zathros;2504998]ATI person here. They last.[/QUOTE]

Not from the survey in more users are of Nvidia then ATI.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2504261]Well, there’s a few holes in that statement.
Want to know what they are? Sure you do.

Fermi’s flagship card (GTX 480) will probably be a bit more powerful than ATI’s 5870, but I have no doubt it will be hotter, bigger, and way more expensive. Also, the chips will be in short supply as the failure rate is currently sitting at more than 50%. Yeah, good luck, Nvidia.

Nvidia GTX 480 - 250W TDP
ATI HD 5870 - 188W TDP
Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18170/1/

Fermi failure rate more than 50%
Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18172/1/

Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?[/QUOTE]

Really failure rate I think you should recheck that statement. There was survey where there more users of Nvidia then ATI so what your getting your info surly isn’t up to date. Such unknown tester as that site is unreliable at best. Give a more creditable tester like MaximumPC or PCworld or PC Gamers would give your statement more creditability. Also testing Apples and Oranges don’t give reliable numbers to base on. So want to make comparison get similar GPU and Specs and then test them. That will give the more bases for better test reviews.

This begins to sound familiar.
The Intel SSD fans boys used to always say “Get an Intel SSD, they have the fastest 4k write performance” (somewhat misguided). Now the Intel SSD’s don’t have the fastest 4K write performance, so now they say “get an Intel SSD, they are a mature”. :smiley:

I have an ATi 5770, and i like it a lot, but if NVidia brought out a killer GPU, I’d change to NVidia. :slight_smile:

Well found the survey from Computerpowerusers and they say Nvidia (65.01%) bested ATI (29.82%) in video card use. Take what you want from it but it does indicate whom has the market share and GPU on market people turn to more stateside here.

Well, I think, Nvidia’s problem is, that they don’t have anything but the 2 yrs old G92 chipset which constantly gets a new name. If they don’t have something new (DirectX11 support!) to offer to the mainstream market soon, they will rapidly lose the market share they still have now.

Michael

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2505100]Well found the survey from Computerpowerusers and they say Nvidia (65.01%) bested ATI (29.82%) in video card use. Take what you want from it but it does indicate whom has the market share and GPU on market people turn to more stateside here.[/QUOTE]

Gee, thanks for posting that link. LOL. I couldn’t even look at it without a subscription. Epic fail. However, I found the same info on CNET…

“A whopping 65.01 percent of Steam users run Nvidia video cards, which include its graphics processors, the company revealed. Just 29.82 percent of user video cards are made by AMD’s ATI. Intel video cards captured 3.61 percent.”

Hmmm… I have an ATI HD 4850, but I don’t use Steam. What’s your point? I’m not saying ATI had more cards out there than Nvidia. I’m saying ATI makes cards that last. For the past 2 years Nvidia had been plagued with quality control problems, especially in notebooks. Their desktop chips are bigger, hotter, and more expensive than the competition. Period. End of story.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2505091]Really failure rate I think you should recheck that statement. There was survey where there more users of Nvidia then ATI so what your getting your info surly isn’t up to date. Such unknown tester as that site is unreliable at best. Give a more creditable tester like MaximumPC or PCworld or PC Gamers would give your statement more creditability. Also testing Apples and Oranges don’t give reliable numbers to base on. So want to make comparison get similar GPU and Specs and then test them. That will give the more bases for better test reviews.[/QUOTE]

Are you on crack? What does the high failure rate of Fermi chips have to do with how many older Nvidia chips Steam users have? And what’s your problem with Fudzilla? They don’t write stuff up, they report tech news. The same news every other tech site is using.

Maximum PC
"Nvidia hasn’t said anything officially, but market rumors suggest the original release was pushed back because of defects, and it would appear the graphics chip maker still has a few bugs to iron out of its Fermi architecture."

Source:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/nvidia_fermi_delayed_again_amd_readies_midrange_refresh

You’re an Nvidia-fanboy and your lack of objectivity is obvious. Your facts carry no weight and your opinions are now meaningless to me. Every time you open your mouth you show further ignorance. Go sit in the corner for awhile.

Confucius say, “Coolcolors is an Nvidia fanboy”.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2504998]ATI person here. They last.[/QUOTE]

You’re damn right they do.

Confucius say, “Coolcolors is an Nvidia fanboy”.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2505346]

Are you on crack? [/QUOTE]

This already shows your own intelligence on a honest debate. I could care less responding back to such childishness response anymore. You could be a first on ignore list.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2505357]This already shows your own intelligence on a honest debate. I could care less responding back to such childishness response anymore. You could be a first on ignore list.[/QUOTE]

Bitter much? Yeah, I figured you wouldn’t be too happy about having your ass handed to you. That’s all you have to say? The “on crack” comment bothered you, did it? Not all that other stuff proving how wrong you were?

Here’s a tip, man. Next time you come here expecting to be a know-at-all, bring facts and source links and at least TRY to back up your bullshit. You got owned and you’re not happy. Walk away with something learned and we won’t have any more problems.

Sorry if you were offended by the “on crack” comment. I just had NO IDEA why you were mentioning statistics on something that had nothing to do with what we were talking about.

No more sigs for today. I’m all out. For real.

OK guys, play nice. No need to resort to insults to get your point across.