Desktop files on a separate Partition

Is it possible for me to have my desktop on a different partition to the windows partition, or even the whole Documents and Settings folder - and still have windows XP pro to work normally?

I want to do that because i dont want to keep haveing to backup my desktop when i want a clean system OS install. (i dont have a DVD±RW !!)

I could just try but i may aswell find out if someone knows about this particular scenario first …

<tia>

sorry, no clue on that

but if you want to do it right - do a clean OS install - install everything you plan on needing at that time, and then use some kind of drive image program to back up your clean install, of windows and all the programs and what not, and you have a clean install for whenever you want. easy as pie :smiley:

like norton gohst? yeah, i thought about that but the main problems is that i want to save my dektop files (about 2.5gig worth), without having to back the up, when i want a clean install.

you can image your desktop files too…

shuebhussain
you need to find a better way to save stuff besides on your desktop. Save it on the second drive, then just create a shortcut on your desktop.

thats very true. out of interest, where do you guys save program updates / full program demo versions / game update patches etc.?

I have them all im my desktop folder , which i guess aint a great idea. i only recenly made a CD / DVD image file partition, and an mp3 partition

Originally posted by ckin2001
you can image your desktop files too…
yeah i already though of that too.

i tried winxp help and it was telling me about Folder Redirection but i didnt understand the instructions - it seems to be a thing for larger network administrators. here’s the excerpt:

[b]To redirect special folders to a specific path
-Open a Group Policy object that is linked to the site, domain, or organizational unit that contains the users whose special folders you want to redirect.
-In the console tree, double-click Folder Redirection to display the special folder that you want to redirect.

Where?
policy name Policy
User Configuration
Windows Settings
Folder Redirection

-Right-click the special folder that you want to redirect (such as Desktop, My Documents, and so on), and then click Properties.
-In the Setting box on the Target tab, click
Basic - Redirect everyone’s folder to the same location.
-Under Target folder location, click Redirect to the following location.
-In the Root Path box, type a UNC path, such as \server\share, or type a locally valid path, such as C:\somefolder, and then click OK. [/b]
Whats the "policy name Policy " console tree thingy? I was scearching for the Folder Redirection option but couldn’t find it …

I just create a folder on whatever drive/partion, then create a shortcut on the desktop. You can drag-drop into the shortcut.
I have a folder named “downloads” where all the stuff goes, the folder is actually on the system drive, and is part of my daily imaging back-up. (imaged to second drive)

Tweak UI for windows XP will allow you to change the location of your Desktop as well as other “Special Folders”.

If you are not using XP, you may be able to change this setting in the registry.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I just create a folder on whatever drive/partion, then create a shortcut on the desktop. You can drag-drop into the shortcut.
I have a folder named “downloads” where all the stuff goes, the folder is actually on the system drive, and is part of my daily imaging back-up. (imaged to second drive)

As in RAID-1?

@ntloser - thanks!- but where do i get it?

Originally posted by shuebhussain
but where do i get it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp