Desktop burners to be replaced by thinner models in 2013

Desktop burners to be replaced by thinner models in 2013.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/10/PRx70w.jpg[/newsimage]Half height Optical Disc Drives (ODDs) will be replaced by slim-type drives beginning in the first quarter of 2013...

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/desktop-burners-to-be-replaced-by-thinner-models-in-2013-65002/](http://www.myce.com/news/desktop-burners-to-be-replaced-by-thinner-models-in-2013-65002/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This is not good news. Does anyone have a slim drive that burns as well as the best of the older style drives? Other than a few of the blu ray drives, which are much more expensive, the best optical burners came out several years back and are no longer available through regular retail channels.

We’ve been experiencing a long, downhill slide, and I think we just reached the cliff.

I agree Kerry56,
with the Windows 8 fiasco and now quite possibly rubbish burners I think I might give up computing when my gear becomes old and no use. I may well take up wood carving, well unless we have to use plastic knives!

Despite how cheap DVD writers have got, the standard 12.7mm laptop DVD writers are still considerably more expensive than desktop drives, so I do wonder how their prices are suddenly going to plummet next year, especially with 2013 just over a month away.

Then again, it does mean doing another check when buying a PC case - That it has plenty of 5.25" bays. :iagree:

When PC cases start coming with a bay for a slim DVD-writer, I sure hope that manufacturers find a good use for it besides a slimline ODD, e.g. a multimedia unit (with Flash card slots, LED read outs, etc.) like what use to go into the obsolete 2.5" Floppy bay.

Does this mean that max DVD burning speeds will again be limited to 8x? I’ve yet to find a replacement slim DVD burner for my Toshiba laptop that’s any faster than the 8x TSST DVD-R/RW that was originally in it. If so, it is surely a step backwards.

The 8x speed limit on slim optical drives is caused by the much more delicate mechanical construction.

Some thoughts:
There is no fun in producing 5,25" ODD due to profits close to zero.
Also, demand is decreasing due to medialess distribution is getting more widespread, and (advanced) customers start using network players instead of handling optical discs.

There is some small demand for optical drives, basically to install software and the occasional backup copy. So, ditching the no-profit production of half-height drives in favour of the slim ones sounds like a good business decision for the few remaining ODD producers.

And the customers? As long as they still shut up and pay, all is fine.

Michael

What ultimately is the point of changing standardisation when the end consumer will get little to no benefit? :rolleyes:

This is another attempt at rekindling what is a dying optical disc market - and as someone who burns discs everyday, I will not be making the switch to something that will prove next to useless for desktop drives.

Don’t kid yourself - optical drives will be around for quite a while yet.

I’ve said it before - optical drives have gotten way too cheap to support any sort of quality control or innovation. I would happily pay $30-$40. each for good optical drives like I used to be able to buy. But the New World Order manufacturers are perfectly capable of cutting each other’s throats (along with their own in the process) in the name of market domination and it’s the consumer who ultimately suffers.

What sense did it ever make to produce 24x DVD writers when the fastest discs most people can find are 16x? And I have to burn even the best media at 12x in a (supposedly) 24x burner to get a decent burn.

So now we will have a new generation of smaller, cheaper, flimsier, slower burners to match the quality of the media we have?
Not my definition of progress!