Demonoid shut down by authorities

I just posted the article Demonoid shut down by authorities.

One of the world’s largest remaining torrent sites, Demonoid.com, has been shut down.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/demonoid-shut-down-by-authorities-62993/](http://www.myce.com/news/demonoid-shut-down-by-authorities-62993/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

No doubt the severs are encrypted… but anywho… that doesn’t stop Demonoid from opening up shop somewhere else… of course they had backups, right??

This was inevitable… once you’re on the top 10 list… you’re a prime target… I’m surpised they haven’t taken down others on the top ten… Isohunt, H33t, Torrentz, KAT, etc…

Storm clouds are gathering… I suspect they’re not done for the year on torrent site takedowns… several other sites will be under attack soon.

However, if Demoid can get their sever up again before the end of the year, that would be kool… Particularly in October…

;->

Bam

A huge database of registered users, download logs & seeding quota … an interesting development …

Wonder if Ukraines been offered a FTA with the US recently??

When will it be time to take down the blasted auhtorities…

[QUOTE=debro;2647966]Bam

A huge database of registered users, download logs & seeding quota … an interesting development …[/QUOTE]

Indeed and it will be interesting to see if a whole string of prosecutions arise from this further on down the line. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Demonoid is down? Dammit. I, umm, have a friend who goes there.

They had alot of legal torrents also, I cant see how they can just shut them down.

I was reading some modern Pacific histories, and one writer talked about the 1970 UN votes to kick Taiwan out. Taiwan argued, but left. Fine, take Red China. Then, Taiwan turned around and stopped observing copyrights and threatened even patent dissolution. “Since we’re not a country, why not? Since we’re unworthy-?!!”

What an interesting notion! Obviously, they relented to some degree, but there are always countries that don’t have extradition treaties, won’t be held accountable by rival entries’ legalities or rulings.

Off-shore banking gets away with all kinds of money-laundering, tax havens, etc. How can Internet Policing be more effective than tax and currency laws?

Oh yeah. “Who makes the money? How much can they bribe me with?” The real questions in the real world.

[QUOTE=debro;2647966]Bam

A huge database of registered users, download logs & seeding quota … an interesting development …[/QUOTE]
Oh noes! What on earth shall we do.

Odds demonoid will be back by October 31st ish?

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2648273]Odds demonoid will be back by October 31st ish?[/QUOTE]
What are the odds that they buy a small pacific island nation and set up a server by … oh … tomorrow?

In theory, if they had a complete backup of the servers which was recent enough, they could have been back online the next day (after a high speed upload & verify of the data).

Obviously, this is probably not the case or there are other circimstances which are not known to the public as of yet… My guess is, there are specific threats of criminal prosecution/extradition hanging over torrent owners’ and admins heads should they be arrogant enough to put the servers back online…

Nevertheless, if demonoid doesn’t go back online by the begining of next year… that clearly is an opening for new torrent sites to get into the game, so to speak…

Sounds more and more like a fishing expedition for nothing more then harassing free enterprise… didn’t the US Repukes talk about free market and enterprise would now shut down business doing the very same business model they tout to support. It’s only if you pay them then you can be free market and enterprise business model. What a load of :Z

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2648079]I was reading some modern Pacific histories, and one writer talked about the 1970 UN votes to kick Taiwan out. Taiwan argued, but left. Fine, take Red China. Then, Taiwan turned around and stopped observing copyrights and threatened even patent dissolution. “Since we’re not a country, why not? Since we’re unworthy-?!!”

What an interesting notion! Obviously, they relented to some degree, but there are always countries that don’t have extradition treaties, won’t be held accountable by rival entries’ legalities or rulings.

Off-shore banking gets away with all kinds of money-laundering, tax havens, etc. How can Internet Policing be more effective than tax and currency laws?

Oh yeah. “Who makes the money? How much can they bribe me with?” The real questions in the real world.[/QUOTE]

Taiwan may not be a country… but it is still the world’s hardware capital. South Korea gave up long ago competing against Taiwan in PC motherboards, graphic cards, sound cards, modems, laptops, PDA’s, tablets, smartphones… - though there are some LG and Samsung smartphone factories in South Korea as profitability remains very high and average hourly wage in those factories is still around US$3 (it’s like five to ten times higher for automobile factories.)

Anyway, I didn’t know about Demonoid until reading this thread.

That’s a pity - it was actually one of the better sites.

What a shame demoinoid had great archive.
Let’s hope that it will come back soon somehow

[QUOTE=SkyNett;2649497]What a shame demoinoid had great archive.
Let’s hope that it will come back soon somehow[/QUOTE]

Put this way take one down many more pop up to replace it…that’s the reality of the net they are fighting a loosing battle but are in real denial they are the dead end business model…

Demonoid was the king and will always be. No other service offers the data they had and as for comics and books, demonoid is the undisputable king!

It’s interesting to see that “Mexican connections” were being mentioned in the press about D’s ownership. I was wondering when all the beheadings would eventually lead to, uh, diversification.