Demand for 4K / Ultra HD TVs to increase with more than 500% this year

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Demand for 4K / Ultra HD TVs to increase with more than 500% this year[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/12/myce-samsung-110-inch-UHD-95x75.jpeg[/newsimage]

The demand for Ultra HD/4K televisions will increase with more than 500% this year, according to a report from Digitimes research.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/demand-for-4k-ultra-hd-tvs-to-increase-with-more-than-500-this-year-70653](http://www.myce.com/news/demand-for-4k-ultra-hd-tvs-to-increase-with-more-than-500-this-year-70653)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Instead of one person screaming for it, there will be five :slight_smile:

I want the Samsung 65" 4K TV. As soon as it drops from $5,000 to $2,000 and there’s some physical media content, I’ll get one.

To any nay sayers out there, 4K is here to stay and with a vengance!
Unlike 3D only the legaly blinde cannot see the difference between 1080p and 4K.
Only hurdle to universal acceptance is how to transfer 100-150gig files to the end user.

DukeNukem, don’t hold your breath on prices dropping that low! In fact prices are going UP accross the board for all TV manufacturers. Don’t know what street prices are like in the States but in Canada you can get a 65" Sony XBR for $4500!

Content is what will hold back 4k TV, IMO. How are the providers going to supply 4k streaming in bulk when they have just gotten 1080p covered? The cable companies will need to handle multiple 4k sets in a single household operating simultaneously. Look how long it to current HDTV to gain wide spread adoption. It was almost a decade and even then it took government intervention in the USA. Then consider that most new TV content is not being shot in 4k and have no plans to do so. Having only recent movies in 4k is not enough to promote wide spread adoption. It didn’t work for 1080p as it took over-the-air programing to bring it into the mainstream.

Put this way put a marketing firm whom interest to further 4K why would they not say increase to 500% this year. This isn’t rocket science to know it is in their best interest to troll the number to make it look something that it isn’t. As another poster said 1080 is just starting to get to the market and if they think people will in this economy will toss 4K is more hitting the Koolaid very hard. Now if that study group gave me the 4K free of charge and no commitment I would take it. But as anything nothing is free and their studies is all but one sided to start out.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2721925]To any nay sayers out there, 4K is here to stay and with a vengance!
Unlike 3D only the legaly blinde cannot see the difference between 1080p and 4K.
Only hurdle to universal acceptance is how to transfer 100-150gig files to the end user. [/quote]If you think a 4K HEVC encoded streaming file is going to be 100-150GB you must be smoking something good. It will certainly be under 25GB, probably more like 12.

DukeNukem, don’t hold your breath on prices dropping that low! In fact prices are going UP accross the board for all TV manufacturers. Don’t know what street prices are like in the States but in Canada you can get a 65" Sony XBR for $4500!
Vizio’s new P series sets are 4k. The 60" is $1800, the 65" is $2200, and the 70" is $2600. And, those are the MSRP’s, not the street prices.

The Samsung 65" is on sale at Future Shop for $4500, down from $5000. I think it came out at $6,000. Anyone who thinks prices of electronics go up is a crackhead. They’re selling these sets in China for less than $2,000. Why North Americans keep getting bent over is beyond me.

4K is coming. The movie studios want it and so do videophiles. 4K is eye candy (videophiles want) and you will need to repurchase your movie collection (movie studios want). As soon as Blu-ray 4K (holy crap, that rhymes) becomes a reality, studios will start cranking out the hits. It’s inevitable. Look at all the restorations, like The Wizard of Oz, that were scanned at 8K !!! The 4K revolution is coming, kids, and nobody can do squat to stop it.

On another topic, why can’t I quote posts anymore? I see no quote button.

I want 4K UHD TV but I’ll wait it out as I just purchased a new TV recently which is 3D and the last one I had was 5 years old but still works 4K Media is nice I’ve already checked it out but not worth the price to me anyway.

The good part about this is I was just given a year old Sony 50" LED set for free because lil sister and her hubby just upgraded to a Sony 50" 4K TV:clap:
They got us a 42" similar to it last year for Xmas with the rest of the family pitching in to go with the house we bought the year before and it looked great.
New one is just bigger with more inputs and some smart functions, screen quality is the same so we’re happy and they’re happy as they didn’t have to store or try to sell the old one.
I would like to get a OLED version sometime myself, the Sony they got looks very nice and bright but I could see a few flaws in the motion in fast moving scenes and the black level was a bit uneven at times but considering is was playing normal 1080i and P content upconverted to 4k it looked pretty good and he hadn’t really tried to dial it in yet.
If you want cheap above all else some of the Chinese brands go for almost nothing, but the conversion engine in them is pretty bad, and the screen tech as well so if you go that route do a lot of research to make sure you can actually stand to watch it once you get it home.