Dell xps m1210 bios password

i have a Dell xps m1210…i recently inherit it but its secured with a password authentication system… i know the only logical way to get around this is to remove the cmos battery and reset the jumper, but problem is that i’m not very familiar with laptop cmos battery so i was very surprise to see this one blue…its an external battery and untill now i cant find the jumper…i have no idea where it is. i have a manual and it doesnt show you where exactly the jumper is on the motherboard… so how can i go about finding this jumper?

someone told me that it might not even have a jumper!!!
if thats the case i’m def screwed :(:frowning:

Call Dell, as long as you can prove you own it they will help with the unlock code. Removing the cmos battery will not unlock the bios password. There are also places that will help for a fee but they also want proof of ownership so Dell is a better choice. The easiest way is ask whomever you got it from to tell you the password.

well i inherit it from my grandfather who recently passed away, and i already called Dell and gave them his name and the laptop sevice tag and they said they needed more than that…so now i dont know what to do

A copy of the death cert. has always work before with dell.

ok thanks i’ll try that

Try to reset the password with Spotmau Powersuite or other app - just google for bios/cmos password reset.

you guys have incredible informations

thanks i’ll try that, because i called Dell regarding the death certificate and they said i’d have to wait 3months for them to confirm it… so i’ll let you know if what you suggested worked for me.:smiley:

ok thanks for the advice on Spotmau Powersuite, really cool software, but my laptop wont boot from a cd…any other suggestion?

There are web sites that will find the password for you but they charge between $70-$!00 dollars. One thought, if you have the time and inclination and depending on how well you knew your grandfather, is to guess what the password might be. I know it may be an impossibility but you never know. Most people are not too security concious when choosing a password. Birthdays, pets name, childrens names, middle name, etc.

[QUOTE=slimthang;2195932]ok thanks for the advice on Spotmau Powersuite, really cool software, but my laptop wont boot from a cd…any other suggestion?[/QUOTE]

==================

Any pc/lap can boot from cd. Try pressing Esc or F11/12 while booting, chances are you’ll get a menu to chose boot device order.

Try these links for some solutions:

http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/downloads.htm

http://www.s2services.com/bioscmospasswordfreeware.htm

http://www.pwcrack.com/bios.shtml

or go here, for the book The Bios Companion by Phil Croucher:

http://www.filehost.ro/409453/bios2005_pdf/

Hopefully, you’ll find something usefull.

P.

[QUOTE=slimthang;2195471]thanks i’ll try that, because i called Dell regarding the death certificate and they said i’d have to wait 3months for them to confirm it… so i’ll let you know if what you suggested worked for me.:D[/QUOTE]

Is there a dell dealer near your location you can take the death certificate and will as proof that you inhertied the laptop. Maybe that will give the dealer there more incentive to help you reset the password. That’s only if you have a Dell dealer close to your location.

[quote=petremure;2196359]==================

Any pc/lap can boot from cd. Try pressing Esc or F11/12 while booting, chances are you’ll get a menu to chose boot device order.[/quote]

if i say it cant boot then it cant cant boot…i tried every set up key possible to enter set up. i’m not the only one with a bios password problem and it wont boot from a cd…

like i said (scroll up) they said its gonna take them 3months to confirm it, they said anyone can type up a fake death certificate…they said there’s no limit to what people will do or say to get a stolen computer unlock, so if i cant get any help from the net i’ll just have to wait until march. thanks anyway

ouch still 3 months…

Did you resolve this?

Considering the fact this thread has been started two years ago, then it can be assumed there was a solution in the meantime.
In case you have a similar problem, do as advised and contact Dell support.

Michael

I purchased one from another state’s government.
it’s on it’s way to me locked with a BIOS password.
The state didn’t know the password.
I was hoping to avoid paying Dell $50 on such an old laptop.

No way. I assume, this is a business class laptop. If the Bios password could be easily removed without help from the manufacturer (or some 3 letter organization), Dell, Lenovo and HP would be out of business (at least for the corporate and government business).

Make sure you get a document that declares you as new legit user.

Michael