Dell XPS 720 will not start after overclocking processor

vbimport

LOL… I am a newbie with this so a few jokes are fine :bigsmile: It’s my first time. Like the title says I tried overclocking a Intel extreme Core2 QX-6850, Kentsfield 65 nm, FSB 1333, MoBO is a Dell(:rolleyes:) nVidia nForce 680i. Worked real nice started @3GHz (stock) to 3.33 stress test perfect, then 3.66 same, then 4GHz perfect! stress test passed with flying colors. So I increased my cooling fans and got greedy and went all they way to 4.66, started to boot up normally (exterior LEDs then the fans started slow increased RPM and that is all it will do:sad: the OS will not start XP SP3. My question is how do I recover from this. Unplugged it for 4 hours but no change, purchased new and installed memory no change, take out all memory no change.
:flower: TIA Jim :o:sad:

Hi,

have you already tried to reset the CMOS?

btw. A german computer magazine fried a couple of CPUs and motherboards during their OC experiments for an article. So you are no alone. :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2552515]Hi,

have you already tried to reset the CMOS?

btw. A german computer magazine fried a couple of CPUs and motherboards during their OC experiments for an article. So you are no alone. :bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I pulled the battery about 30 minutes ago

LOL…Thanks for the encouraging info :doh:, I think it worked (CMOS Reset):flower: now for the 1066 memory:eek:

Yeah 4GHz is a good target :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2552575]Yeah 4GHz is a good target :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks. It is perfect, ran 3 consecutive stability stress tests :slight_smile:

I hope it works now for you.

Stress the workhorse. :wink: