Dell XPS 410 / Optical Drive creates MS Stop Errors when using hardware acceleration

vbimport

Hi All,

Maybe some one can share there ideas here.
I’m a technically competent administrative user.

GOAL:
To be able to activate MS hardware acceleration to get best performance from my 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro while using Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.7.0.4245 video production application.

ISSUE:
When ever the hardware acceleration is activated 98% of the time when I place unburned media in to either of my optical drives the drives will spin up then the OS post the blue screen stop error.
Same address every time:

MS Stop Error Detail:
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X806E494F,0XB7FF33C8, 0X00000000)
Microsoft has suggested the following areas:
Disk space / not my issue
Try changing video adapters / I have the latest drivers
If a drive is identified / No driver identified in the stop process blue screen

What we know:
Issue existed from the start prior to the very few applications that have been loaded thus far.
Issue has happened with both and CD-R and DVD+R disc in both drives, ruling out that one drive, or specific brand media is bad.
Both drives read recorded and stamped media with out issue.
All hardware and memory have passed testing.
No issues were found with the 2 GB SDRAM / memory was installed one at a time in different slots with same stop error issue.
The latest drivers and firmware have been applied.
Both of the optical drives have been removed from device manager and allowed the OS to refresh them to rule out possibility of corrupt drivers (7/1/2001 5.1.2535.0)

QUESTION:
We know that hardware acceleration has been of issue over the years.
Has any one found a optical drive that works under full hardware acceleration with out the above type of issue?
I was considering trying the PX-755SA SATA SERIAL ATA drive as they seem to be the industry leaders before they go off the market.

I wish to activate the hardware acceleration when I run Pinnacle Studio so that play back of edited video best quality. If hardware acceleration is not activated is see a visual down grade in video performance.

Should I consider a different graphics card instead?

I am growing tired of having to continually change the hardware acceleration level depending on what it is I want to do.
This sucks!

Otherwise the Dell XPS 410 has been a nice work horse of a PC.

MY CONFIG SPECS:
DELL XPS 410 shipped on the 12/26/2006 via UPS
All three boxes (PC, monitor, and Dell sound bar speaker) arrived undamaged to the west coast, unbelievable knowing how UPS abuses every thing.
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 1.86 GHz, 1066FSB
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM memory @ 667MHz
One 320 GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst cache
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro (ATI Driver Ver 8.321.0.0 Date 11/21/2006)
19.0 inch Ultrasharp monitor 1907FP Digital Flat Panel
SONY - 48X combo SONY_CDRWDVD_CRX310S SERIAL ATA (Driver Ver: 5.1.2535.0 Date 07/01/2001)
LG - 16x DVD+/-RW HL-DT-ST_DVD±RW_GSA-H31N SERIAL ATA (Driver Ver: 5.1.2535.0 Date 07/01/2001 removed and refreshed with out correcting issue above)
OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition Ver 2002 Service Pack 2
Windows display video running at 1280 x 1024 / 32 bit

Best Regards,
DelSolSea
Seattle, WA

Check this M$ hotfix. Linked page doesn’t mention your type of OS though.

Hope you’ll be able solve this. :wink:

Thanks for the post.
I have already seen this M$ hotfix and all it suggest is to update Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

I am all ready running Windows XP Media Center Edition Ver 2002 Service Pack 2.

This is a tough one but I am wondering if its an issue resulting from Pinnacle:

This suggestion just started showing up but only when the optical drives crashed when Pinnacle studio was running then I put a disc in and the drive crashed.
Remember the drives crash with no applications running in the foreground.

M$ suggest:
Problem caused by InstantWrite (vobiw.sys)
The problem was caused by InstantWrite (vobiw.sys). InstantWrite (vobiw.sys) was created by Pinnacle Systems, Inc… This product is no longer supported by the manufacturer.

Even though I’m running the latest version of Pinnacle Studio ver 10.70.4245
and updated Instant DVD to the latest ver 1.7 with the same daunting show stopping error!

I truly enjoy the Pinnacle Studio video editing suite and simply want my CD/ROM DVD drive to run with out crashing.

In years past people have bitched about InstantWrite “vobiw.sys” crashing there systems but I’m not completely sure this is my issue, it may be.

Yes I know UNINSTALL all the Pinnacle software to see if the issues goes away.
What a labor some effort!

Is any one else out there having any similar issues?

I really hate to even thing of doing an XP reinstall or repair effort if at all possible.
I’m technically capable to do such but I have all ready paid for Quick Time Player upgrade and did a number of M$ suggested updates. Reinstalling XP would only cost me another week of long effort!

I resolved my issue by removing all of the Sonic Solutions application specifically PxHelp20.sys

First off my Dell was came shipped with Roxio Creator My DVD COMBO Le in witch I’m not invested in at all.
I purchased the latest Pinnacle Studio Plus as my main desire is for video editing.

The Pxhelp20.sys driver conflicts/competes with the Pinnacle - VOB Computersysteme GmbH ASAPIW2K.sys driver causing hard failures MS blue screen stop errors.

The process of using XP’s uninstall did not however remove the Upper Filter driver PxHelp20.sys by Roxio Sonic Solutions.
I had to manually search for the PxHelp20.sys file and removed it (moved it to temp location prior to deleting it completely).
Then to removed the Upper Filter driver call from the registry by using Filter Detection and Removal Tool 4.6 FilterCheck.zip
The free FilterCheck utility ask for each filter driver entry prior to removing so your safe is you wish to keep other entries and are just targeting a specific one for removal.
See this post for details and the utility for removing Filter driver from your registry. http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/post-25431.html

My goal was to get Pinnacle software suite as my primary application so I didn’t mind dumping all of the Sonic products.
I’m satisfied now and my system work very well!

Hope this post helps save some one else’s pain!

Best Regards,
DelSolSea
Seattle, WA

Hi,

nice elaboration.
As Pxhelp20.sys is installed by Windows Media Player, be careful, if you want to install a newer version of WMP.

Michael