Dell TSST TS-H653B to Samsung SH-S203B crossflash success

Were can I get all of the software to cross flash mine. I have a Dell XPS420 too, but I can’t afford a new drive. Any help would save me time and a head ache.

Hi and Welcome!

I bet, your question is answered after you have read the FAQ that is mentioned in my signature :smiley:

Michael

That only answered part of what I ask. You don’t explain how you run the software in no check mode.

[QUOTE=mixer666;2441188]You don’t explain how you run the software in no check mode.[/QUOTE]Well, the question “How to run a program with parameters in Windows” is beyond the scope of this FAQ :smiley:

Michael

Hi All,

Thanks for information above. I have a TS-H653B, too and it’s RPC2 as per Nero Infotool. I downloaded SH-S203B firmware from Samsung website and patched. But when flashing it back to the DVD writer, both TSDNWIN and SFDNWIN said my patched S203B bin is not compatible with H653B writer. Then I downloaded the firmware for H653B at Dell.com, which could be patched and loaded, but once download to the writer, the flash tool will freeze and have to be manually shutdown. Who can help me check which step is wrong? Or should I try other flash tool instead of Samsung ones?
Thanks very much in advance!

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=devconwang;2510281]
Thanks for information above. I have a TS-H653B, too and it’s RPC2 as per Nero Infotool. I downloaded SH-S203B firmware from Samsung website and patched. But when flashing it back to the DVD writer, both TSDNWIN and SFDNWIN said my patched S203B bin is not compatible with H653B writer. [/quote]This is perfectly normal. You may have another look into the FAQ please :wink:

Then I downloaded the firmware for H653B at Dell.com, which could be patched and loaded, but once download to the writer, the flash tool will freeze and have to be manually shutdown. Who can help me check which step is wrong?
Is there the same problem if you flash the unmodified Dell firmware? Normally, the flasher should not crash. Not even with patched firmware. I’d prefer TSDNWIN since it also supports newer flavours of Windows.

Or should I try other flash tool instead of Samsung ones?
There is no other flash tool.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2510289]Hi and Welcome!This is perfectly normal. You may have another look into the FAQ please :wink:
Is there the same problem if you flash the unmodified Dell firmware? Normally, the flasher should not crash. Not even with patched firmware. I’d prefer TSDNWIN since it also supports newer flavours of Windows.
There is no other flash tool.

Michael[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your promt reply. Yes, I should carefully check the FAQ firstly:p
This TS-H653B can be recognized on my laptop with WinXP, I connected it to the USB port through a ATA-USB cable. But all the discs, no matter CD/DVD-ROM or RAMs can’t be read. So I decided to update the firmware to see if it can be solved. Currently the flash tool will crash even when I download Dell firmware to the writer. When loading the Dell firmware, it said version is OK, but will freeze once I press download. It seems I need to have a further check, but anyway thanks for your help.

Those connector adaptors are crap, most of them.

You would be really lucky to get a working one. :wink:

Oh, really? The adaptor works well with my 2.5" HDD, and when works on the ATA writer, the DVD write can be recognized by OS and eject action also is ok. Only can’t read any disc. You mean it’s still something wrong in the adpator? thanks.

So far you always have to use the -NOCHECK option to achieve this, IMHO.

Hi,[QUOTE=devconwang;2510576]
This TS-H653B can be recognized on my laptop with WinXP, I connected it to the USB port through a ATA-USB cable.[/quote]This adapter can be the culprit then.

But all the discs, no matter CD/DVD-ROM or RAMs can’t be read. So I decided to update the firmware to see if it can be solved.
Such is normally not an issue that can be resolved by a firmware update.

Currently the flash tool will crash even when I download Dell firmware to the writer. When loading the Dell firmware, it said version is OK, but will freeze once I press download
This really looks like an interface issue. Flashing a drive that is poorly connected (e.g. with an incompatible interface or controller) is highly dangerous.

Is there any opportunity to connect the drive internally?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2510620]Hi,This adapter can be the culprit then.
Such is normally not an issue that can be resolved by a firmware update.
This really looks like an interface issue. Flashing a drive that is poorly connected (e.g. with an incompatible interface or controller) is highly dangerous.

Is there any opportunity to connect the drive internally?

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for above suggestions.
It should be an interface issue, since this DVD writer reads discs very well when connected to my HD video player through an ATA cable.

I know this thread is really, really old, but I just wanted to thank you!
:bow:
You really saved me, I was ripping my hair out. I wasn’t even able to burn a viable cd. It was telling me it was gonna take 9 days to transfer the contents of a cd to my hdd. Ridiculous! Cross-flashed the recommended firmware and it took 5 minutes! Thank you so much!

:smiley: This thread started long long ago but really helped us a lot.

So i have this custom built computer that a friend just put together for me and the burner he put in it comes up as a TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-H653B D300 (D:) (SATA) using Image Burn.

So i searched that trying to find some info on the drive and found this thread. I got excited when i found out that i could cross flash it and make it better. So i downloaded the SH-S203B_SB04 firmware and when i try and run the exe it says “Can’t Find Suitable Drive For F/W” :frowning:

Anybody have a clue why it’s not working?

I just now opened the computer to take a closer look at the drive to make sure it was indeed the correct burner.

It says on it that it is a
TS-H653B / DEBH F/W=D300
Designed by Toshiba Samsung
Dell PPID

But still when i run the SH-S203B_SB04.exe is still comes up with the same error “Can’t Find Suitable Drive For F/W”

[QUOTE=rgw825;2685384]
Anybody have a clue why it’s not working?[/QUOTE]

Extract the flasher and the firmware from the SH-S203B_SB04.exe wrapper using WinRar or such, and then start the SFDNWIN flasher from a command prompt with the -NOCHECK parameter.

Its all been said in this very thread, all you need to do is to carefully read it! :wink:

What does this crossflash achieve?
I have the 653…and a 202.
I am curious more than anything.

[QUOTE=cvs;2685488]Extract the flasher and the firmware from the SH-S203B_SB04.exe wrapper using WinRar or such, and then start the SFDNWIN flasher from a command prompt with the -NOCHECK parameter.

Its all been said in this very thread, all you need to do is to carefully read it! ;)[/QUOTE]

Thank you thank you. I had read the thread a couple times but i think i was reading it incorrectly. Maybe i was reading it too fast. I wasn’t realizing the EXE was an extractable archive. The No Check worked as well since it showed up on the flasher itself. I’m sometimes a dunce when it comes to stuff like this. But i somehow figured it out. :slight_smile:
Nero Info Tool is showing that it is now SB-04 :bow:

[QUOTE=Steve33;2685502]What does this crossflash achieve?
I have the 653…and a 202.
I am curious more than anything.[/QUOTE]

In general OEM drive firmwares are intentionally ‘crippled’ in some way(s) compared to their retail equivalents…

Its been ages since I touched one of these drives (I still have my old SH-S203B sitting in a box somewhere! :)), but the usual suspects for the 653B model would be that you gain the retail 20x burn speeds instead of the OEM locked 16x firmwares, bitsetting ability and DVD-RAM burning ability.

There might be more specific benefits depending on what other retail features various OEMs might have disabled in their firmwares (if any), but I can’t remember any other specific benefit. I’m sure this would have been discussed a couple of years back quite extensively, so if you do a search you might find some more details…