Dell/Samsung/Vista burn quality

I’ve just bought a new Dell, mainly for DVD burning purposes. It’s got Vista pre-installed. I’ve burned DVDs using both AVI2DVD and DVD Santa and they look awful. Pixelated, poor colour etc. Both from good quality avis, which on my old LG burner would come out beautifully.

The DVD burner is TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-H653B on a Dell Vostro 200 with Vista. I’ve looked for firmware with both Dell & Samsung and have downloaded the little they do have but it hasn’t helped.

Is it possible I’ve got my settings wrong in Vista? Is it worth me uninstalling Vista and trying with XP or does this sound like a burner problem?

I’m using HP or Verbatim -R discs, both were fine in my old PC.

Cheers

Are you burning from the exact same avi files as you had success with in the past, or are these new avi files? Is it possible it is your source that is the problem?
I know there isn’t a problem with vista and that drive, as I JUST got my new dell, and it has vista and that same drive. I used Ulead Studio 11, and just captured, edited, encoded, and burned the dvd, and it played beautifully…
Make sure you are starting with a high quality avi file, make sure you are encoding at 8000 - 9000 bits, lower your burn speed to 12x or 8x, and see if it comes out better.

I’m still having problems.

1. I’ve tried with avi’s that I’ve burned okay on my old PC.
  2. I tried uninstalling Vista and re-installing XP and it has the same pixelating problems on the burn.
  3. I’ve tried with 4 different converting/burning programs.

The common denominator is my new Dell PC and the burner inside.

Anyone got any ideas? I’m considering swapping the burner but I don’t want the expense. Could it be the graphics card?

[quote=secondtoughest;1970932]The common denominator is my new Dell PC and the burner inside.[/quote]Erm… how is that the “common denominator”? The common denominator is the file that you are converting. The [I]difference[/I] seems to be the new computer.

Unless… what brand of discs are you using? Same as with the files that worked?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;1971198]
Unless… what brand of discs are you using? Same as with the files that worked?[/QUOTE]

That would be my first guess :iagree:…symptoms seem the same as with either too high a burn speed or suspect media. :slight_smile: