Dell Optiarc ND-3570A stuck in PIO transfer mode

I’ve just had a Sony Optiarc ND-3570A dvd burner installed in my machine (Dell Precision 390) by the Dell support guy (machine still under warranty).

But now, it comes up in only PIO transfer mode, which slows the whole computer down to a crawl whenever the drive is being accessed. (Which is driving me nuts.)

I’ve found heaps of sites talking about Microsoft’s 6 fails/timeouts at a DMA transfer then the drive will be demoted to PIO only. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers in Hardware manager and reset the Registry checksum for the device, and I do see the 6 errors in the System Event Viewer, and from that point on it’s PIO only.

The dell guy never had any specific installers for the burner, and I can’t find any on a Sony/optiarc/NEC site for it either.

I’ve updated my BIOS firmware - no difference.

According to Hardware Manager, the driver for the IDE channel is:
version: 5.1.2600.5512
date: 1/7/2001

and for the Optiarc DVD±RW ND-3570A is
version: 5.1.2535.0
date: 1/7/2001

Seems quite odd that there’s no newer drivers since 8 years ago for a DVD burner…

Does anyone know if there’s a more recent driver that will enable DMA mode for this burner?

-Matt

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=mattcsound;2297261
But now, it comes up in only PIO transfer mode, which slows the whole computer down to a crawl whenever the drive is being accessed.
(…)
I’ve found heaps of sites talking about Microsoft’s 6 fails/timeouts at a DMA transfer then the drive will be demoted to PIO only. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers in Hardware manager and reset the Registry checksum for the device, and I do see the 6 errors in the System Event Viewer, and from that point on it’s PIO only.[/quote]You may please read this article:
http://winhlp.com/node/10
since there isn’t only a possible fix provided, but also one of the reasons for the DMA to PIO fallback is explained.

Additionally, you may consider replacing the IDE cable.

The dell guy never had any specific installers for the burner, and I can’t find any on a Sony/optiarc/NEC site for it either.
This is not necessary.

Seems quite odd that there’s no newer drivers since 8 years ago for a DVD burner…
No. This is the driver that comes with the operating system. Perfectly normal.

Does anyone know if there’s a more recent driver that will enable DMA mode for this burner?
There is no such thing. You may have a look if there are newer chipset drivers available, but this normally does not affect the issue.

Michael

Thanks. I just managed to find that winhlp article - it is very good.

I did manage to enable UDMA mode 2 on the device, thanks to those instructions.

However, the drive seems to lock up the entire computer when talking to it in Ultra DMA mode when I insert a DVD-ROM. Everything appears to be running perfectly, until I stick a disc in.

The event viewer shows a bunch of code 9 errors from “atapi” followed by a code 11 error from “cdrom” and after a few minutes, it all reverts back to PIO.

I see the logic, behind it all, at least PIO works, albeit very slow, and consuming loads of CPU time.

Do you have any ideas why a drive might not work on UltraDMA mode 2?

Just had some help from our IT guy. We swapped out the drive with another NEC DVD-RW drive (different model) and also tried an alternative cable with both drives.

Exactly the same result.

We can reset the Reg keys and reboot with UltraDMA2 enabled, but when a disc is inserted, the machine locks up for a few minutes and then drops back to PIO mode.

:frowning:

Hmm. Strange.

Please check RAM with Memtest86+ and your HDD with the diagnostic tool from the HDD manufacturer.
Also run Dell Diagnostics.

Be prepared to call Dell support for additional advice.

Michael