Dell OEM GH50N

vbimport

I have one of these in a machine at work, using MCSE to check the firmware I see it is a GH52L core so I should be able to crossflash it into a GH22/24NS50. I’ve tried the Renesas flasher utility from RPC1 forums and on the surface it works but the drive is unable to recognize any media afterwards. Any tips? The burn quality with the GH50N firmware is HORRIBLE.

Looks like I found my answer:

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2618732]I have one of these in a machine at work, using MCSE to check the firmware I see it is a GH52L core so I should be able to crossflash it into a GH22/24NS50. I’ve tried the Renesas flasher utility from RPC1 forums and on the surface it works but the drive is unable to recognize any media afterwards. Any tips? The burn quality with the GH50N firmware is HORRIBLE.[/QUOTE]

Have you done a FULL shut down (not just a restart)?

Which DELL firmware were you using? The latest on DELL’s website is B103 (dated Aug 31 2009) but I’ve got a B104 dump (dated Oct 12 2010) if you’re interested :wink:

Well, that refers to the NS70 drives, so it might not be true for NS50 drives.
Even if it is true, you should still be able to successfully crossflash either to a GH22NS50 or to a GH24NS50. One of them should work if not both…

Just make sure you do a full shutdown. A restart is generally not enough for a successful crossflash…

@Two Degrees

My GH22NS50 is still bricked. I crossflashed it to GH24NS50. It has the same problem as yours. Unfortuneately, I flashed it back to GH22NS50. The drive still cannot recognize any media. Hopefully you will not have the same result.

[QUOTE=cvs;2618737]Have you done a FULL shut down (not just a restart)?

Which DELL firmware were you using? The latest on DELL’s website is B103 (dated Aug 31 2009) but I’ve got a B104 dump (dated Oct 12 2010) if you’re interested :wink:

Well, that refers to the NS70 drives, so it might not be true for NS50 drives.
Even if it is true, you should still be able to successfully crossflash either to a GH22NS50 or to a GH24NS50. One of them should work if not both…

Just make sure you do a full shutdown. A restart is generally not enough for a successful crossflash…[/QUOTE]

The Dell firmware is B103. I just tried a full shutdown after flashing to NS50 firmware TN03, the tray opens but it won’t read any media inserted (pressed, blank, burned, CD, DVD).

[QUOTE=2601;2618777]@Two Degrees

My GH22NS50 is still bricked. I crossflashed it to GH24NS50. It has the same problem as yours. Unfortuneately, I flashed it back to GH22NS50. The drive still cannot recognize any media. Hopefully you will not have the same result.[/QUOTE]

That is strange, I am able to flash the drive back to the GH50N every time and have it recognize media.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2618823]The Dell firmware is B103. I just tried a full shutdown after flashing to NS50 firmware TN03, the tray opens but it won’t read any media inserted (pressed, blank, burned, CD, DVD).[/QUOTE]

Strange …

Well, you’ve tried to crossflash to a GH22NS50 model rather than to the GH24NS50 as 2601 did …

Now assuming that the 24x models have indeed some kind of hardware differences compared to the 22x models (although they use the same core), I guess it depends which of the two hardware versions is your GH50N based on…

If your drive is based on the older 22x hardware, then the crossflash you did should have worked. :confused: This might suggest that your GH50N drive could be based on the newer 24x hardware …

If it is based on the newer and potentially different 24x hardware, then you might have to crossflash it to the GH24NS50 model for the crossflash to be successful? :confused:

This is all pure speculation, but on the other hand, based on 2601’s experience, it might be that a 22x --> 24x crossflash is more dangerous than a 24x --> 22x crossflash? We have a bit of a mystery to solve …