Dell LCD 17" $200 shipped 19" $464 shipped

Dell UltraSharp 1704FPT 17-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand $200 + tax shipped
$329.00 - 30% off Coupon Code: X6XMHK6VSFV?LJ - $30 off $300 Coupon Code: S$JZTQ86CQR3SV = $200.30 with free shipping

DELL UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand $464 + tax shipped
$749 - 30% off Code: 0Q45PXFG7X7N28 - $60 off $500 Code: DVG63SGBMTV$3K = $464.30 with free shipping
20.1", 1600x1200, thin bezel, 16ms refresh, 400:1 contrast, and 250 cd/m^2 brightness. Has nice rotate, good inputs (everything but component) & pip.

anyone knows who the manufacturer is for Dell flatpanel monitors?

LG or Samsung?

Samsung

thanks!
none of the reviews i found for their monitors would list the actual mfg.

I have the dell 2001fp, and I play the newer games on it. No ghosting, delays, etc… Excellent game play, even as well as my 19" graphics CRT, only better. Brighter colors, and not as dark.

Dell often uses LG-Samsung panels but that’s not an absolute certainty whatsoever…Dell adheres to its principals of contracting the most economical OEM panel producers depending on the market situation/conditions…this may or may not be LG-Samsung…it also differs based on the size of the panel…

i believe the 2001FP uses the same LG-Samsung 20.1inch panel as my Viewsonic VP201s but is actually assembled by BenQ…

i don’t know who produces the panels for these particular 17 and 19inch LCDs but i would be hesitant to automatically assume they’re LG-Samsung panels. they could be AU Optronics, LG-Samsung, Philipps, Fujitsu, Hyundai or any one of the other top OEM panel producers…

You are correctly right drpino. I did a bit more looking for Dell monitors.
I was interested in the 19" 1905FP model.It seem that Dell has switched from a Samsung panel to a AUO panel. The AUO panel is the one used in the ViewSonic VP191b.
But i don’t think the Dell monitor performs the same as the Viewsonic.
Anyway, that 1905FP is on sale for 20% off and $30 off 300 coupon.

i’ve heard great things about the VS VP191b (nice 8ms response, 24-bit panel)…but i have heard some not so great things about VS RMA support should you be unlucky to get a bad panel.

i absolutely love my VP201s which has performed flawlessly for more than a year now…the Dell’s are definitely cheaper than VS but the build quality of my VS is very very good FWIW…

good luck with your purchase RmF :slight_smile:

Nice thing about my dell, is that I got the 4yr in home warrenty when I purchased it. It will probably die in 4yrs and 1 day… :slight_smile:

$464 for a 19" dell is not a good deal, I got this LCD 1905 for $350 4 months ago. Now if you look hard enough, you might be able to get this LCD for $300 and a few times this LCD goes for $300. Check out a few coupon sites, you might be able to find stackable coupon.

It’s LG-Philips or Samsung. Samsung works alone while LG works with Philips.

Dell seems to prefer LG-Philips LCD panels but Samsung clearly tried to reduce Samsung LCD panel prices to OEM makers greatly to get some market share from LG-Philips and others. Lots more companies have switched to the latest Samsung panels (from LG-Philips.) Better features for lower cost, but that doesn’t automatically mean Samsung panels are better.

In addition, Taiwanese LCD panel makers offer even lower prices, but each of them has much smaller production capacity compared to LG and Samsung so supply stream’s not as good. In the CPU industry for PC, AMD sells cheaper than Intel but HP still buys CPUs from Intel because Intel has larger capacity and so can meet demand more easily and Intel has more room for price reduction.

Sometimes even the same LCD model uses more than one type of LCD panel and it’s likely that the resellers and even the customer support people at the manufacturers may not know which panel each monitor on the market is based on, but for the same price, they use panels of similar specifications.

19-inch LCD monitors for 2x more than 17-inch LCD monitors is not worth investment I think. Panel price of 19-inch LCDs has dropped to nearly the level of 17-inch panels, perhaps around US$100. They say panel prices change daily depending on supply and demand situations on the market just like DRAM prices so even if you ask which panel model costs how much today, you have to ask again 10 days later if you plan to purchase then.

Not sure why the 1st poster said 19", but the link is for a 20" and its the DELL 2001FP. It’s a very tasty LCD. We have a few where I work. :slight_smile:

Maybe changed mind typing the content? :slight_smile:

Dell 20-inch for that price is good. Since equivalent monitors from LG and other name-brands cost like US$1,000, choice for me is easy: US$500 for 20-inch LG U04 panel, built-in TV, remote controller. A few South Korean makers and BTC (of Taiwan) sell such monitors in South Korea.

[I]Model Name
nfren 201S1

Pixel Pitch
0.255 x 0.255 mm

Resolution
1600 x 1200

Brightness
250cd / m2

Contrast Ratio
400:1

Viewing Angle
H:178 / V:178

Input
D-SUB / DVI-I / Audio In , Out
Composite / S-VHS / TV [/I]

Perhaps the built-in TV is useless in the US where very large plasma and RP TVs are so cheap.

i believe this is the panel used in the Dell 2001FP and the Viewsonic VP201s/b:
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd201_j_e.jsp

It’s a javascript page.

[I]LM201U04

ㆍFeatures

20.1" TFT LCD Panel for Monitor

Model Name LM201U04 [/I]

[I]Wider viewing angle! Brighter screen! Faster response time!
LG.Philips LCD dramatically improves the technical limitations of existing TFT-LCD, such as viewing angle, brightness response time, resulting in positioning LG.Philips LCD leadership of the TFT-LCD monitor market. In addition, LG.Philips LCD introduced 20.1˝ UXGA, 23˝ WUXGA and 30˝ WQXGA+ TFT-LCD panels for the first time in the industry, thereby setting the standards for large-scale, wide monitor-specific TFT-LCD, for desktop monitors.

LM300W01 LM230W02 LM201U04 LM201W01
LM190E02 LM190E03 LM190E04 LM170E01
LM170E02 LM150X08
[/I]

LM230W02 = 23-inch 19201200
LM230W01 = 23-inch 1280
LM201U04 = 20.1-inch 16001200
LM201U0
before U04 = same as U04 but outdated specs

LM171W02 isn’t mentioned there. W is for wide and U for UXGA probably. LM171W02 supports 1440*900 WXGA resolution though it’s only 17-inch.

Comparing LM201U04 vs. LM171W02.

Picture from lcd119.co.kr.

whoops, sorry bout that…thanks kenny…

these are the specs from the page i was citing:
LM201U04

[b]ㆍFeatures[/b]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      	                                                                                                         

20.1" TFT LCD Panel for Monitor                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

[b]Model Name[/b]                                                                 
                                                             [b]LM201U04[/b]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                                                                   Active Area [mm]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

408.0 x 306.0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Outline Dimension [mm]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

432.0 x 331.5                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Thickness [mm]                                                                                                                                                                                                         

25                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Resolution                                                                                                                                                                                                         

1,600 x RGB x 1,200                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Aspect Ratio                                                                                                                                                                                                         

4:3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Pixel Pitch [mm]                                                                                                                                                                                                         

0.255(99.6)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Number of Colors                                                                                                                                                                                                         

16.7M(8bit)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Luminance [cd/㎡]                                                                                                                                                                                                         

250                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Color                                                                          Saturation (%)                                                                                                                                                                                                         

72                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Weight [g]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

3,200                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Contrast                                                                          Ratio                                                                                                                                                                                                         

500:1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Interface                                                                                                                                                                                                         

LVDS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Viewing Angle [˚,U/D/L/R]                                                                                                                                                                                                         

178/178(CR≥10)(S-IPS)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Color Temperature [K]                                                                                                                                                                                                         

6500                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Response Time [ms]                                                                                                                                                                                                         

16                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

MP Schedule