Dell Inspiron 8600 with Samsung SN-324S CDRW/DVD will no longer recognize CD's

I have had this computer and Samsung SN-324S drive for a little over a year and have been using it with no problems until yesterday. I have been using the drive a lot recently to rip my CD’s into iTunes.

Yesterday it stopped recognizing the CD’s but it will still recognize DVD’s.

I have tried to follow the Dell troubleshooting and have not had any success.

Why would it stop recognizing CD’s but still work with DVD’s?

Any thoughts on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Your CD laser may be dead. :iagree:

Is there any easy way to verify that the CD laser is dead before I go buy a new drive from Dell for $120

Have you tried to burn a cd?

I would check and see if there is a firmware update available for that drive, if so, I would upgrade the firmware first then try again.

You can get a new DVDRW/CDRW drive for about $40 and up, no need to pay $120 for one. :iagree:

It will not even recognize that there is a blank CDR in the drive so I cannot even format it.

So I assume that means the cd laser is dead??

I did update the firmware by the way.

So where can I get a drive that will fit in the Inspiron 8600 dock for only $40?

I didn’t know you were referring to a laptop computer, those drives are a bit higher in price, but here are several under $100.

[QUOTE=spreidel23;1245839]I have had this computer and Samsung SN-324S drive for a little over a year and have been using it with no problems until yesterday. I have been using the drive a lot recently to rip my CD’s into iTunes.

Yesterday it stopped recognizing the CD’s but it will still recognize DVD’s.

I have tried to follow the Dell troubleshooting and have not had any success.

Why would it stop recognizing CD’s but still work with DVD’s?

Any thoughts on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Chris here, read your post about your Samsung SN-324S CDRW/DVD not recognizing your CD’s. Any resolution on this? I have the exact same issue.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=cjmitschelen;1957373]Chris here, read your post about your Samsung SN-324S CDRW/DVD not recognizing your CD’s. Any resolution on this? I have the exact same issue.[/QUOTE]I seriously doubt, the original poster is longer interested in this topic :wink:

At first, get a bootable CD like Knoppix, Ultimate Boot CD or something similar. A Windows install disc might work also. Insert the disc into your drive and try to boot from this. If that fails, then the drive has gone bad. In case it is still under warranty, contact your vendor or manufacturer’s support for further advice.

Michael

Checked the newegg link. Looks good but does IDE/Sata matter? That’s what initially pointed me to the forum. I know to remove the drive i just pull it out, will the new drive work the same for install (just push it in).

Thanks much. Sorry to resurface an old question but it seemed appropriate.

Upon reviewing pictures it seems the EIDE/ATAPI drives will fit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151162

Seems like a good drive. Any confirmation this should work? I will post results when i replace.

Hi and Welcome!

I own the same drive (as Dell OEM TS-L632H). Make sure, there is SB** firmware on it, then you should be fine.

Michael

Your make/model through me off. Realized it is the same drive as samsung. That is kind of funny. I’m ordering it now. Thanks for the advice.

Hi

I have the same computer with the same CD/DVD Drive and i think i may have deleted the firmware / driver for it, does anyone know if i can download this from somewhere?

Sorry if the above doesnt make much sense, im not very good with computers! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Hi and Welcome!

you can’t delete the firmware of an optical drive. Drivers are part of the operating system, so it’s hard to get rid of them also.

So, what’s the problem exactly? Give us as much information as possible. Are there any errors in device manager? If so, what errors exactly?

Michael