Dell Inspiron 1720 Display Brightness

[qanda]This thread is about the Dell Inspiron 1720. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]8 months old Dell Insprion 1720. Suddenly (overnight) the display brightness has dropped off by about one third and difficult to see. I set all of the power options to maximun display brightness. What is strange it that the display is twice as bright running on battery than of power cord. But both settings are set for max brightness in all three power plans. I’m at a loss. I’m not a geek so take it easy on me, please. Could it be a display driver of some kind?

Hi and Welcome,

please try Fn + arrow-up/down keys in order to change display brightness.

Michael

I’ve already done that multiple times. Display will go darker and lighter but the lightest is still too dark. As of yesterday it was fine and working perfectly. I’m also in a darkened room so it’s not the lighting! Do we have any more troubleshooters out there? Thanks for the try Michael.

That is a backlight problem. You will need a new LCD screen. You can find one one ebay for about $150-200. However, you must know someone who is able to install it for you.

If it’s only 8 months old it’s still under warranty. Contact Dell.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2232233]If it’s only 8 months old it’s still under warranty. Contact Dell.[/QUOTE]

yeah (I missed that part) do that.

Okay skyneon and Whappo. I appreciate everybody’s help. Thanks.

[QUOTE=ronp;2232240]Okay skyneon and Whappo. I appreciate everybody’s help. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

For those that were involved in this problem and those that might be interested! The problem with the brightness ended up being a problem in setup that somehow the video display brighness setting went to the low end. Dell talked me thru getting it back to normal and that fixed the problem. Setup entered during startup and hitting F2.

Glad you have it sorted out.

[QUOTE=ronp;2233020]For those that were involved in this problem and those that might be interested! The problem with the brightness ended up being a problem in setup that somehow the video display brighness setting went to the low end. Dell talked me thru getting it back to normal and that fixed the problem. Setup entered during startup and hitting F2.[/QUOTE]

Please can you walk me through the steps becuase i have the same problem…if u may,can you please do a detailed walk thru because im not good at computers…Thank you

Hi and Welcome!

the process is rather simple:
Power on your laptop and press the F2 key (sometimes it is needed to press that key several times) to get into Bios setup.
Now navigate to the “video” section using the “arrow down” key. Then follow the instructions you find on the right and the lower screen.
Brightness can be changed for AC and battery operation separately.

Michael