Dell GWA-4146b?

I have two Dell Optiplex GX620’s that came with the 4164b drives. i cannot find any info on the hardware specs for these drives. I was trying to find out if they can do dual layer and such. I dont think they are lichgtscribe drives but I was just reading a post talking about cross flashing to a 4166 which I’d like to do if its possible. I havent been able to find any posts on how to do this.

Thanks for any input.

Clayton

Dell’s GWA-4164B is an OEM LG writer. LG’s policy for OEM writers is somewhat peculiar : they make these special OEM models for computer manufacturers who bundle them with the systems they sell. The computer manufacturers are expected to provide all the support for these drives (firmware etc). That is why you have difficulty finding information about them : LG doesn’t release information on them at all.

The GWA-4164B should be based on the same Panasonic chipset as the GSA-4166B except that it has no DVD-RAM support and no lightscribe support. I believe they do support DL writing.

As for cross flashing, you may be able to cross flash it to a 4166B and may be able to get DVD-RAM support. However, you almost certainly cannot get lightscribe capability. More information here :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1289272&postcount=4 (see Q21)

Guess i shouldnt fool with it and get that Lite-On SHM-165H6S or a BenQ drive…

Thanks

Quite a lot of lightscribe drives on the market. Also the LG GSA-H10L or the GSA-H20L. The BenQ model that supports lightscribe is the DW-1655.

Which drive you you recommend for doing lightscribe and excellent Movie backups.

I just purchased DVDRebuilder Pro to use as my software.

i have the GSA-H10L and so far like it a lot. though i haven’t used it for LightScribe (yet).
the BenQ DW1655 is an excellent drive (if somewhat old).
both are excellent choices.

hi guys new to the forum,have packard bell 2108 i exteme(tame more likley)
have a gwa 4146b DVDRW DRIVE as standard it will read all discs i put in exept
cd-r 90 reqognises them as cd-r80 takes a while to acknowege the discs also.
just wont write to anything,just hangs for ages then says “insert empty disc” tryed to update but cant find a simple way or update to do this. would i be better buying a new writer for 30 quid or perceiver with this one,still under warranty from pcworld but they dont seem to care they have had the money and they say they dont warranty items that need upgrading through new tecnology (crap) they dont know of any problems with this drive.
advice apreciated.
sorry if in wrong place “newbe” thanks again

Hello bellys and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to see you having a hard time from those guys. Two quick questions :

[ol]
[li]How did you try burning discs? With windows explorer or with burning software like Nero? If you only tried with windows explorer, can you try using Nero?
[/li][li]Did the drive come with your packard bell system or did you buy it as a bare unit and add it in yourself?
[/li][/ol]

with nero and came with p bell system from pcworld they say they will replace drive as long as i recover the system whilst they are on the phone but will lose all my music and dvds 500gb worth any ideas apart from a new writer.

The most obvious thing to do I guess, is to go to the Packard Bell website and see if you can find a firmware update for your writer there. There have been a few people who have described similar problems to yours and if I remember correctly, it was either a firmware update cured it, or else the drive was defective. Let’s hope it is the former in your case.

90 minute (800 MB) CD-R always have an ATIP of 80 minute CD-R!!
You can only burn it with Nero in DAO mode (“overburning”)! Go File - Options - Expert Features - Enable Disc-at-once CD Overburning, and enable it up to 89:57.00. :wink:

ok guys found it firmware update from the dangerous brothers on the newest of the new
section am happyly burning a dl-dvd at the moment good luck guys pcworld and p bell havent got a clue !!!

crashed after half way,wony=t now reqognise cd or dvd but ok for dl couldnt be arsed with it any more so have brought a gsa-h10a apart from a few initail probs its ok v quick compared to the gwa thanks for your input gentlemen “keep on burning” good work guys

crashed after half way,wont now reqognise cd or dvd but ok for dl couldnt be arsed with it any more so have brought a gsa-h10a apart from a few initail probs its ok v quick compared to the gwa thanks for your input gentlemen “keep on burning” good work guys