Dell E510 WinXP SP3 Problem

vbimport

This computer has a strange problem that even the “experts” are baffled by at Staples. My mouse and keyboard work only on a certain USB port. If I switch or move either one then they will not work. I cannot download any driver to the system for it will not recognize it. Any hardware installation will not find any driver to work with it.
My printer died so I bought a new one and the driver will load but will stop because the computer does not recognize the “new” installation.

DanL

[QUOTE=danlaudionut;2674722]This computer has a strange problem that even the “experts” are baffled by at Staples. My mouse and keyboard work only on a certain USB port. If I switch or move either one then they will not work. I cannot download any driver to the system for it will not recognize it. Any hardware installation will not find any driver to work with it.
My printer died so I bought a new one and the driver will load but will stop because the computer does not recognize the “new” installation.

DanL[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the first signs of dying hardware and considering it’s a XP system you should really consider updating your hardware. Did you try to reinstall the O/S to see if it wasn’t a O/S problem or hardware problem? Driver not recognized might be that your hardware is too old to handle the new printer requirements or the USB ports are 1.1 and not 2.0 which could mean why you can’t use USB 2.0 hardware on 1.1 or be recognized on 1.1 USB boards. But sounds like you have a cluster *)()(&& of hardware and software problems that I doubt staples is going to take the time to fix it. Staples aren’t expert sorry to say…

My advice at this point in time get a new system with at least Windows7 on it.

Reinstalling the XP O/S is the next step but I was trying to not have to do it.
I bought an identical computer on Ebay for $27 with the XP discs
because I couldn’t get the discs due to the age of the system.
It is USB 2.0, according to the specs anyway.
I am beginnng to understand how limited Staples is on expertesse.

DanL

If you weren’t having the driver problem I would suggest a PCI USB card .
There not expensive & might solve the problem.

Do you know if the computer you don’t have “Recovery discs” for has a Recovery partition instead ?
This is usually a hidden partiton .
There is an old software that will detect hidden partitions & there may be newer ones.
The old one I have is PowerQuest Partition Table Editor the file it has is
PTEDIT32.EXE if you can find it. Of course the recovery partition restores to "out of the box " state & that may not be what you want.

I amthinking this might work -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350699138565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Cheap enough to try.

DanL

I am beginnng to understand how limited Staples is on expertesse.

I have a D510 around here somewhere and I’ve seen that specific issue…

and it was another case of “when in doubt presume the OS is corrupted due
to a Geriatric hard drive”

The real “Issue” with a D510 is that it’s an older notebook that uses an IDE hard drive and at current pricing…

Let me phrase it this way, the ONLY IDE notebook drive currently offered for sale at Newegg is an 80Gb Western Digital for $129.

for not much more than that I can buy a Refirbished E6400 “Buisness” notebook with windows 7 preinstalled and the computer will have a 160gb SATA drive already installed.

AD

After several trials of different things I came to the conclusion
it’s the hard drive that died.
I even tried installing it as the secondary hard drive on this,
my working E510, and it even failed to recognize it.
It makes sense since files were “missing” more and more.
Then it would not even load the windows.

DanL
Then a new XP program would not install at all.
Damn though there is stuff on that hard drive
that I will not be able to replace.
I think I will learn my leason and back stuff up.
I bought a 1TB external hard drive for that purpose.

The only “Irreplaceable data” on any notebook I own is kept on either a USB Pen drive or on a SD flash memory which is only actually in the computer to write the data to it then it goes back in my pocket.

The OS installation itself is periodically “partition image” cloned to
back up the installation (save me time in the event of a hard drive failure)