Dell Dimension 8400 and Pioneer 108 Writer

vbimport

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 which chame with a Philips DBD8601 DVD +R/+RW

Today i brought a Pioneer 108 in Black , replaced the Philips drive, set to Cable Select as i the drive was selected before

When switching on the computer i i got an error message saying:

Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA PATA=1 (PRI IDE SLAVE 1)

Strike F1 to continue , F2 to run setup utlity.

Windows XP sees the drive. I updated my BIOS to the latest version but that has no effect. DMA is not enabled on this drive and i cannot seem to enable it, my DVD-ROM is okay , so it my hard disk but the writer isn’t

I can use the Writer to read discs etc…

I have just burnt a DVD-R at x4 and it took 52 minutes ??, what’s going on ???

Help!!!

DMA is not enabled on this drive and i cannot seem to enable it, my DVD-ROM is okay , so it my hard disk but the writer isn’t

You need to set the drive in DMA MODE. Check this link on how to enable DMA mode in XP:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

try setting your drive to master instead of cable.

I had the same problem as you. Dell Dimension 8400 updated BIOS would not recognize a new DVD drive. After resetting and flashing the BIOS, changing jumpers, etc, I found out that it was the IDE channel that needed to be reset in Windows XP. Here is a thread that will assist you: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645 . You are probably running SATA hard drives, so just delete the primary IDE channel (in device manager), reboot, reboot again. Should be good to go.

Update:
I had to switch the drives. Swap the cd/dvd drives in their bays (this is a cable select system). Make sure the jumpers are set to cable select for both. For some reason the old drive had to be swapped to the slave and changed the new drive to the master. Don’t ask me why, I have never run in to such a problem before (maybe dell is cheaping out on the mother boards - that’s why they are giving such good deals???). System works fine as of right now (fingers crossed).

That’s one of many reasons why I’ll never buy anything from D€LL.