Dell deminsion2400..can I install any hard drive or do I have to have a special one from dell

vbimport

I have a dell diminsion 2400 and would like to know if there is some way I can install another hard drive or do I have to get a special one from Dell. I formatted a larger drive and it looked lilke it would work and then it would stop. It is not seen in the dell at all…Is it that you only have to get drives from dell ? Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

Is the drive you installed an ide or sata drive. If its an ide drive make sure you put jumper on cable select. How large is a large drive? is it seen in the bios?? You do not have to buy drives from dell.

Hi and Welcome!

no, you don’t need a HDD from Dell. Any HDD that meets the specification should do.
Please check the manual which you can find here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/index.htm for instructions in order to avoid problems.

Michael

Like the others have said, no you don’t need a special one from Dell, but I do prefer Seagate or Western Digital. For that Model it’s probably an IDE or PATA, and you are running Windows XP/SP3. There is a Disc Management Utility in Windows, you have to use this to Format and Initialize your HDD. :cool:

According to the specifications your Dell has an old IDE connector. And no SATA.

The biggest and best drive available is the 500GB Western Digital. It’s about $80 if i’m not mistaken. Check newegg or similar shops. You have to check if you need to purchase a ide flat cable as well. After that it’s just setting the correct jumper (master or slave) and installing.

[QUOTE=Roddly;2606196]I have a dell diminsion 2400 and would like to know if there is some way I can install another hard drive or do I have to get a special one from Dell. I formatted a larger drive and it looked lilke it would work and then it would stop. It is not seen in the dell at all…Is it that you only have to get drives from dell ? Any help is appreciated. Thank You.[/QUOTE]

If you can provide a service tag number that would give others reading a better idea what hardware setups you have built into your dell dimension.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2606328]According to the specifications your Dell has an old IDE connector. And no SATA.

The biggest and best drive available is the 500GB Western Digital. It’s about $80 if i’m not mistaken. Check newegg or similar shops. You have to check if you need to purchase a ide flat cable as well. After that it’s just setting the correct jumper (master or slave) and installing.[/QUOTE]

THE issue here that everyone here is missing is NOT “IDE Vs SATA”

It’s Intel 845GV chipset.

While you can indeed run a 500gb IDE drive in that computer (with a controller card), if you install a 500gb hard drive that’s already formatted to the MoBo the OS installer is going to choke. (as will the bios of the board) as
any drive 160gb or larger won’t even be recognized!

You CAN run a 500gb drive, but only on a PCI controller card, because tthis computer has an inherent issue with the chipset, that issue is it is NOT 48LBA capable.

Meaning if you connect an unformatted drive larger than 128gb to it
that computer will stop recognizing it the instant the combined total
of all created partitins on it exceed 128Gb

This can be side-stepped by running the drive via a controller card,
but if you go that route there are other issues…

the first is that a controller card plus a SATA hard drive is enough cheaper
than a controller card and an IDE drive to leave you with enough change to buy TWO sata drives… or a more modern mother board to connect them to…

The second thing is that there is an inherent stability issue running a SYSTEM drive via a controller.

I used to have a stack of Dell 2400 computers, I’ve gradually given them away already set up with a fresh clean installation of XP-pro-sp3 on them… to Seniors to use as “e-mail, facebook and share pictures with the grandkids” computers, as frankly they aren’t capable of a whole lot more.

When I run out of used IDE hard drives smaller than 160gb any 2400’s that are left will be uncerimoniously scrapped…

Frankly I’d offer you a deal on a Dell 3000, which is basically identical to your computer, but has the intel 865GV chipset (the first intel chipset that natively recognizes 48LBA drives) but there are much better upgrades around for you than a seven year old refugee from a recycling bin…

If you want the Dell 3000 MoBo message me.

But what would be better for you would be a Dell 4600 (also Intel 865GV based), but has an AGP Video card slot AND has 2 SATA jacks on the MoBo
It’s early SATa so they are only SATA1.5 but SATA3.0 is back-compatible…

I’ve got a Dell 4600 here running a pair of SATA3.0 WD blue 500gb drives
(it’s used as a dedicated publishing computer for an Alumnai association
newsletter), it runs XP fairly well, but… again there are better fish in the sea…

There have been 6 replies to this thread while the thread starter has not answered any questions or given any further information. Is this site for posters who have nothing to do but answer questions just to post??

[QUOTE=scotton;2606456]There have been 6 replies to this thread while the thread starter has not answered any questions or given any further information. Is this site for posters who have nothing to do but answer questions just to post??[/QUOTE]

You’re right, we have not heard back from the OP, hopefully that person does tell us if we answered the questions. I feel this Tech Site is not only to help the people Posting questions, but also everyone that reads them. Many times a problem has more than one solution, and I enjoy reading what everyone has to offer. I have been in Technical Support for more years than some of you have been alive, and I still have room to learn more. :cool: