DELL C600 and Samsung SE-S084

I have an old DELL C600 which is my backup. I wanted to install a Samsung DVD Writer on it but it required a USB 2 PCMCIA card. I installed the card all seemed great.

Now I plugged in the Samsung SE-S084 with just one of the plugs and the machine just cratered to reboot black screen. After doing this a few times I thought that perhaps the drivers on the card are the issue. Well I went through the update process in “Unplug or Eject” menu and came to the conclusion that this is not the issue.

If I plug it in on the USB-1 version HUB there is no problem but then it will not work. I tried on plug on USB2 and the second plug on USB1, but in this case the laptop crashes.

Then I read this comment on a forum in the NET.

"The problem is that a DVD Burner is about the ultimate power-sapping device you can conncet to a USB port, and expect to get it’s power there too.

Having cables for bi-portal operation is fine, but if the laptop has a relatively small battery like the EEE’s, and may be fairly depleted, and is itself drawing the majority of the battery power just to do whatever it’s already doing - then the addition of the burner is likely to crash the whole kaboodle, especially if the user wants to burn disks rather than read data.

It all comes back to the same thing with the EEE’s. They’re not powerhouses, and they’re certainly not designed to supply significant amounts of power output to any sort of ancillary accessories.

The LG drive I chose draws 1.6amps at 5 volts, which is eight watts.

Take that into comparison with the 2.5 watts the Atom CPU demands, and it’s easy to understand how it can dramatically increase current demand on the battery, which is designed to trickle discharge fairly slowly."

What options do I have to power this thing?

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Shakespear2;2292550]I have an old DELL C600 which is my backup. I wanted to install a Samsung DVD Writer on it but it required a USB 2 PCMCIA card. I installed the card all seemed great.

Now I plugged in the Samsung SE-S084 with just one of the plugs and the machine just cratered to reboot black screen. (…)
"The problem is that a DVD Burner is about the ultimate power-sapping device you can conncet to a USB port, and expect to get it’s power there too.[/quote]:iagree:
Bus powered drives violate the USB specs due to heavily overloading the USB port it is connected to. An USB port is designed to provide up to 500 mA@5V. Not more. The Y-type cable is also against the specs, and it will give you another 100 mA. Your drive needs 1200 mA or even more.

Such a configuration might work, it might also not work, and in worst case it can even kill the USB port (or the entire USB controller)…

What options do I have to power this thing?
Get a power supply unit to feed the drive with the power it needs. No power supply connector? Then back to vendor.
Instead, buy a Half Height drive - these always come with a power supply unit.

Michael

Thanks Mciahel :flower:

I found this as being another option

http://www.everythingusb.com/belkin_7-port_plus_usb_2.0_hub_12907.html

[QUOTE=Shakespear2;2292569]
I found this as being another option

(Belkin USB Hub)[/QUOTE]For that price, I get a working external DVD burner.

I seriously doubt, Belkin will warrant more than the specified 500 mA per port. It might give more, but no one will give you figures you can count on.

Michael

Thanks for the advice mciahel:)

My problem is that I already bought this Samsung and this being Poland it is tough to get these guys to take back the equipment. What I might try is to ask to exchange for something along your suggestion.

Well, at least I know more about power requirements of DVD equipment :smiley:

Did you checked the Dell website in order to see if there are any drivers or patches that may fix the problem?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LAT_PNT_P3C_C600&os=WNT5&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Hi,

USB Specs: maximum current 500 mA. External USB ODD power demand: > 1000 mA

[QUOTE=sosa2006;2297916]Did you checked the Dell website in order to see if there are any drivers or patches that may fix the problem?
[/QUOTE]There will never be any software fix for hardware that does not comply with specifications.

Michael