Dell Blu-Ray Burner- Brand

Looking at adding Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW to a new Dell Studio XPS.

Dell will not release the Blu-Ray Burner Manufacturer info or any specs. What brand do they normally use?

Should I buy the dell BD burner or go with a brand name burner and install myself. I have researched the LG BH08 and would probably buy it.

I could get the LG for the same price Dell charges for their BD burner. Would I get a higher quality BD burner by going with LG or Dell. I’m also concerned with possible problems installing the LG.

If I go with the Dell Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capability ($200 cheaper) do you see any problems with removing the ROM drive and installing the LG. I have never installed an optical drive. Any help from the experts would be appreciated.

I don’t know who makes the Blu-ray drives for Dell, but if you want a specific drive, I’d just get the double drive setup as you plan, then replace the dvd rom with your Blu-ray burner. It would not be difficult to do this, and since Dell has gone to SATA interface drives entirely, you would already have the SATA data and SATA power cables ready to attach to your new Blu-ray burner.

This is really one of the easiest things to add to a computer, so the difficulty level is very low.

[QUOTE=RLW2;2310507]Looking at adding Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW to a new Dell Studio XPS.

Dell will not release the Blu-Ray Burner Manufacturer info or any specs. What brand do they normally use?
[/QUOTE]

They’ve supplied both Philips and Matshita drives in the past.

At the moment the current drives seem to be Dell HLDS BH20N SATA HH 6X BD-RE.

These are Hitachi/LG drives and are rebadged LG BH08NS20 drives.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks for the info Kerry56 and Wombler !!

You’re more than welcome.

I don’t know if you’re into messing about with this sort of stuff or not but apparently it’s possible to cross flash this drive to official LG BH08NS20 firmware.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=RLW2;2310507]Looking at adding Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW to a new Dell Studio XPS.

I got a studio xps 1645 a few months ago. It has the Matshita BD-RE-UJ235A in it. I am not sure if it will write to a Blu-ray disc. If anyone knows this please post. It will play a blu-ray dvd after much configuring and updatng software and drivers.

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2502228]
I got a studio xps 1645 a few months ago. It has the Matshita BD-RE-UJ235A in it. I am not sure if it will write to a Blu-ray disc.[/QUOTE]I guess you know what you ordered. :wink:
Additional thought: have you ever considered reading the documentation? :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2502234]I guess you know what you ordered. :wink:
Additional thought: have you ever considered reading the documentation? :bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]
Thank you. I actually only cared that it played blue ray and had no intention of writing a blue ray disc as they are very expensive now. The page was very enlightening.

BTW it took a lot of fixes to even get it to play blu-ray from the computer to the tv. The drive you posted is a Panasonic but I am assuming that Panasonic is the maker of the drive I have, Matshita