Dell and OEM TS-L632D Owners

Until today, I had NO idea that this drive does DVD-RAM. I googled last night because my drive has been acting up whenever I tried to burn Ritek media…whether DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL. Little did I know that it was the media, not the drive. BUT…I did find firmware for the drive dated Feb 08 (SC04). Flashed the drive with the No Check and find that I can now write and read DVD-RAM at 5X as well.

Most OEM’s disabled this option. Figured I had nothing to lose and all to gain with new write strategies and DVD-RAM capabilities. Google the same Samsung firmware and flash if you want to open the drives capabilities

or

www.samsungodd.com/korLib/popup/Download.asp%3Fpath%3DFW_FWDownload%26fname%3D200706120953115801_TS-L632D_SC04.exe

Bob

Hi,[QUOTE=bobmitch;2242530]Until today, I had NO idea that this drive does DVD-RAM.[/quote]Hehe :slight_smile:

Most OEM’s disabled this option.
I guess, they did this to save a few cent per drive for licensing or something like that.
Interestingly, Dell issued firmware updates that (re)enabled DVD-RAM support for many drives. :slight_smile:

Michael

Funny…

The most updated firmware from Dell did NOT enable DVD-RAM for me. The latest firmware I received from Dell was april 07. The firmware I found (SC04) came direct from Samsung…and DID! When it comes to firmware updates…I find Dell slow, if existent at all. I read a product description from Samsung on the drive last night that did say DVD-RAM…looked at it in disbelief until I flashed the firmware. Funny…I burned Mitsubishi Chemical DVD+R; +R DL and -R and the results are beautiful. 95% and higher on most. Firmware still HATES Ritek…

One additional benefit of the new Samsung firmware. It will burn Verbatim MKM 003 Dual Layer (8x) disks at 6x now. Always burned at 4x before

Bob

Hi,[QUOTE=bobmitch;2242658]Funny…

The most updated firmware from Dell did NOT enable DVD-RAM for me. The latest firmware I received from Dell was april 07.[/quote]:iagree: I know :wink: Seems they “unlocked” only newer drives like my 632H.

When it comes to firmware updates…I find Dell slow, if existent at all.
Can’t with my own drive;) Dell released at least 4 firmwares for this drive. For the retail twin - SN-S082H - there are only SB/SH00 and SB/SH01 firmwares. Seems as if Samsung loves their OEM customers more than their retail custimers :eek:

One additional benefit of the new Samsung firmware. It will burn Verbatim MKM 003 Dual Layer (8x) disks at 6x now. Always burned at 4x before
Nice :slight_smile:
Is your drive able to do bitsetting to DVD-ROM with the SC firmware? Dell firmware does not :frowning:

Michael

According to Nero 8, I just set the Book Type to DVD-ROM and Nero saved it. I am copying a DVD now and Nero has set Book Type during the burn to DVD-ROM…YES! Here is the Disk Info showing book type DVD-ROm and the quality results. I copied a program that I burned about a year or so ago, just minutes ago on my Dell E1505 and the L632D. Quality scan done by my Samsung 223Q, which is not the greatest scanner to use…but quite adequate. Burn quality is decent…and DVD-ROM bitset…the 632D even seems quieter now…Hmmm…

Hi,[QUOTE=bobmitch;2242700]According to Nero 8, I just set the Book Type to DVD-ROM and Nero saved it. I am copying a DVD now and Nero has set Book Type during the burn to DVD-ROM…YES! [/QUOTE]This is a very nice result :iagree: