Dell 9300 dvd problem

Hello to all CD freaks. This is my first posting here… so, greetingz to all!!

I will explain the whole situation and any help to resolve this will be highly appreciated. :clap:

I have a Dell 9300 laptop with DVD +/- RW & CD combo drive. Lately, I installed Windows XP from CD (deleted the recovery partition) and installed the latest BIOS firmware from Dell’s website also. After this, I am unable to use the DVD facility, it detects only CDs.

1. If I visit “Device Manager” to check, it shows “SONY DVD±RW DW Q58A”
  2. BIOS displays Bay Device DVD ± but doesn’t show the manufacturer information or the model number. I am not sure of the actual model number of the dvd device since it is not labeled on the outside or inside. Can the flashing of firmware overwrite these details and the OS installs a different driver not corresponding to the device?
  3. I installed Nero to get further details through Nero InfoTool which shows that the type is DVD-R/RW Firmware is UDS2 and supported formats are:
    Read:
    CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, Video CD, CD Text and C2 errors
    Write:
    CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, Buffer Underrun protection

DVD Features:
Region Control: RPC II, Region Code: 1
Changes Left: user:4. Vendor: 4

1. Earlier I used to boot Knoppix system rescue dvd on my laptop which is not working either which implies that something got messed up at BIOS level.

Can anybody help to rectify this? Pls. provide a solution as I am completely clueless.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards…
Rama
===.

I will explain the whole situation and any help to resolve this will be highly appreciated.

I have a Dell 9300 laptop with DVD +/- RW & CD combo drive. Lately, I installed Windows XP from CD (deleted the recovery partition) and installed the latest BIOS firmware from Dell’s website also. After this, I am unable to use the DVD facility, it detects only CDs.

2. BIOS displays Bay Device DVD ± but doesn’t show the manufacturer information or the model number. I am not sure of the actual model number of the dvd device since it is not labeled on the outside or inside. Can the flashing of firmware overwrite these details and the OS installs a different driver not corresponding to the device?
  3. I installed Nero to get further details through Nero InfoTool which shows that the type is DVD-R/RW Firmware is UDS2 and supported formats are:
    Read:
    CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, Video CD, CD Text and C2 errors
    Write:

DVD Features:

1. Earlier I used to boot Knoppix system rescue dvd on my laptop which is not working either which implies that something got messed up at BIOS level.

Can anybody help to rectify this?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards…
Rama
===.

I will explain the whole situation and any help to resolve this will be highly appreciated.

Read:
    Write:

DVD Features:

Can anybody help to rectify this?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards…
Rama
===.

Please do not double post it is against forum rules. Give it a little time and answers will come.

Triple posted! Anyways unistalling the drive in the device manager then restarting computer, will sometimes correct this problem, worth a try right?

Merged all three threads…

Where is the second post??

rama419
New on Forum

Posts were in Newbie, Firmware, CD & DVD copy if I remember.

Dear mods, the 3rd triple post were incorectly merged.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f36/dell-9300-dvd-problem-234720/

Because your reply was not included? If so just repost it.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;1961195]Because your reply was not included? If so just repost it.[/QUOTE]

Nah, because there is now a thread withmy answer first only, no sign of the OP/question.

So it makes no sense “alone”.

You must know I have now powers over that.

Here is Chef’s post. Well a copy anyways… :smiley:

12 Hours Ago #1 (permalink)
chef
CD Freaks Guru

The BEST what you could do FIRST is to check the cable/connection and jumpering of the drive.

Then, its best to test the drive in another computer.

Don’t even try to flash it, first test the drive.

Dealing with optical drive based burners since 1997.
Using optical drives from AOpen, HP, LiteOn, NEC, Philips, Pioneer, Plextor, Ricoh, Samsung, Sanyo, Toshiba and Yamaha.

‘Things are now in motion that cannot be undone.’ [Gandalf, LoTR]

DevCon
Enable DMA with gILLb@ID$
Enable DMA free at your will
busTRACE => Upper/Lower Filters Util
HOW TO … Delete the Upper & Lower Filters!

Klingons, where?

Hehe… Time to delete the original one?!?

Dear friends,

Sorry for the multiple posts. I will keep that in mind next time.

I will try to uninstall the driver and reboot the laptop.
Since the laptop used to boot through dvd earlier and not any more. I doubt if this will resolve the problem but will definitely give it a try.

CHeerz,
Rama
===.