Dell 4500 desktop issue

Trying to help a friend over the internet with this problem. I don’t have the make of the cd and dvd drives but will check it out. Seems she started having problems burning mp3’s. Actually anything now. In event viewer she sees these errors.

Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

cd rom event 7 says The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.
atapi event 9 says The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Both drives seem to be giving her problems (which seems odd?). On one music she plays seemed to start skipping and them would error out.
The burner jusy stopped … Imitation disk seemed to work but they stopped also. We checked the cables and device manager seems ok. I had her order a new Nec drive but now i’m thinking it could be just the cable. Oh well not much to go on right now. But if you need more info please ask.

If new cable does not fix these problems, then you should format the HDD and clean install windows. Also verify that the drives are running in DMA mode.

The IDE controller on the MB could also be defective.

Ok we changed primary ide and secondary to all dma modes… hope this works…

nope didn’t work… burner froze up after 5 min