Deleting .img file

I don’t know if this is the right forum to post this question on but here goes. I am trying to delete an image file from my harddrive but everytime I try to delete it it says the usual, access denied make sure the disk is not full or write protected. This should not be a big deal at all because usually if all else fails I can reboot and problem solved, not this time, I have rebooted a few times to no avail. What program could keep accessing this file at startup and not let me delete it, or if it is write-protected how’d that happen and how can I undo it? Any help would be greatly appreciated it’s a 752 meg program and I need to clear it out. Thanks :confused:

using windows XP i presume ?

try deleting it through a windows startup disk and go into dos ?

you can make a file read only by right clicking on it, and clicking properties, but that wont have any effect on your current problem

Sorry, left out I’m running Win98se.

As Huzzy suggested, try booting from floppy and then go to the directory concerned and delete the file (del file.img (just in case you are not familiar with DOS commands :wink: )

Perhaps there is something wrong with your drive, try running scandisk to make sure

Create a batch (.bat) file with the line:

del “filename”.img

Place the batch file in the same directory and run it.

Originally posted by Wannes
[B]Create a batch (.bat) file with the line:

del “filename”.img

Place the batch file in the same directory and run it. [/B]

This would only be handy when you want to delete evrey few days the same file.
When there is just one file in the dir use del .
when that one doesn’t work (because of the read/write settings) go one directorie lower and use the deltree command

God I love the old dos command line

Originally posted by 1 man werhmacht
What program could keep accessing this file at startup and not let me delete it

Daemon Tools ? (with automount option ON)

Gowap you guessed it. I had totally forgotten a/b Daemon tools. Yep I still had it mounted. Man I thought I had checked everything I guess you can’t be to thorough. Anyways thank you, this is what makes these forums great, thanks to all for your helpful advice. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by gowap

Daemon Tools ? (with automount option ON)

well done gowap.
lateral thinking at its best.

Thanks, but I have to admit it happens to me before, that’s why I get the correct answer so fast.