Deinterlacing

I always have trouble choosing deinterlacing settings.

I do understand what interlacing is, the history of it etc,

where I struggle is what settings to use at conversion stage, and on or off at playback stage ( in video player), given that my playback is always on PC+ LCD screen via DVI connection at 60hz

is there a way to inspect the source dvd, with some utility, and figure if it’s interlaced or not.

is there more info somewhere on the dvdfab to mobile deinterlace tick box & how/when to use it ?

update - I checked the official guide - it does not include any mention of the deinterlace tick box!

not even to say whether ticking it turns deinterlace on or off ???

If you are in region 1 (NTSC) and it’s a Hollywood type movie you can pretty much bet that it is progressive and no deinterlace is needed. TV series and stuff recorded on video tape are probably interlaced. Film or video tape is usually the difference. Nero Recode has an info tab that tells whether it’s progressive or interlaced. This would be a great feature request!

[QUOTE=90312;2450866]If you are in region 1 (NTSC) and it’s a Hollywood type movie you can pretty much bet that it is progressive and no deinterlace is needed. TV series and stuff recorded on video tape are probably interlaced. Film or video tape is usually the difference. Nero Recode has an info tab that tells whether it’s progressive or interlaced. This would be a great feature request![/QUOTE]

agree about the feature request.

I read somewhere that ALL DVDs have to be 480i interlaced because that is what the DVD format specs say. I will try to confirm that via more googling.

I’m in region 2 so most of mine are PAL, but I guess same rules apply. I checked some of my DVDs at random , just checking random files in video_ts, and gspot said interlaced everytime.

DVDFab normally will automatically decide if deinterlacing is necessary. The checkbox forces delinterlace if it’s checked. The deinterlace mode and method can also be set by modifying the profile you are using. There is a discussion with details about this elsewhere, I don’t think I’m supposed to give you a link, but I’ll give you a ;).