Defragment space requirement

How much free space do I need to have on a drive in order to defragment it? This is about flash drives too.

Some people claim 15% free space is needed, others say as much free space as your largest fragmented file. As for flash drives, I don’t know, just try it and see if it defrags. You might want to consider using a free defragmenter like Defraggler or Auslogics because you can defragment individual files or folders without doing the entire disk.

Depends on the defragmenting tool.

The builtin defragmenter in Windows XP requires 15% free space for defragmentation (or at least it warns you if there is less free space). Some other defragmentation tools require less.

Defragmenting a flash drive is pretty much a waste of time, since the seek time between fragments is very low. Defragmenting will put some wear on your flash drive, however, reducing its lifetime.

I recommend not defragmenting your flash drives.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2157732]Depends on the defragmenting tool.

The builtin defragmenter in Windows XP requires 15% free space for defragmentation (or at least it warns you if there is less free space). Some other defragmentation tools require less.

Defragmenting a flash drive is pretty much a waste of time, since the seek time between fragments is very low. Defragmenting will put some wear on your flash drive, however, reducing its lifetime.

I recommend not defragmenting your flash drives.[/QUOTE]

Actually I’m using the drive to store music files and play them on there, and it has 1 million write/erase cycles guaranteed with a lifetime warranty. I use it as a music player, so I don’t really delete files all that often at all. So it’s not really a problem with me.

Min. space requirement would depend on the size of the fragmented files, and also significantly on whether system files are fragmented, posing as barriers to movement of other files.

It’s difficult to predict precisely, but as a rough estimate, the default Windows XP defragmenter requires atleast 15%. Commercial defraggers can get by with less since they can defrag system files too. For eg, my copy of Diskeeper 2008 Pro has defragged a heavily filled up 160GB drive with slightly less than 7 % free space. It was run on automatic defrag mode and handled the drive without any problems at all.

Wile “Defragging” works I long ago decided that waiting for a “larger” (will I date myself by defining “larger” as 20gig?)
HDD to Defrag takes as long as continental drift… or atleast it seems that way…

Thinking about “defragging” my 60gig HDD is about as interesting to me as root-canal (sans novocaine)

So I “cheat” I copy everything on my 60gig drive to an EMPTY
Drive. My 60gig is partitioned into a 40gb and a 20gb, so I copy everything from the 40Gb partition onto a “blank” 40Gb
and after verifying that the copy is good copy it all back.

My 4gb “boot drive” is a bit more complicated, but making an image of it to the empty space in the 20gb partition then copying it back
is WAY faster than “defragging”

Not to mention all the stalls and hangups when trying to run defragger…

But since I just got a 160gig drive in the future I’ll copy everything to the 160 erase the 60 and write it all back.

That’ll work until I either fill the 160gig or need to defrag it, but before that happens I’ll have another 160gig drive… fer cryin out loud
another WD1600AAJB P-ATA 160Gb HDD is $50 at TigerDirect

But frankly a WD 500Gb drive at $84…

AD