Defrag windows 98 with winme defrag

vbimport

I thougth it was about time to defrag my harddisk again (using defrag of windows 98) but this usually takes 3 to 5 hours on my system (harddisk of 10G).
Now I’ve read that the defrag of winme (winme_defrag.exe) works also on a windows 98 but much faster. The only thing you’d have to do is rename the windows98 defrag.exe to defrag.old and then rename to winme_defrag.exe to defrag.exe.
Just wondering if anyone has any eXPerience with this ?

Try PowerDefrag…It defrags during boot-up, before Windows loads all those programs that run in the background…I defrag during coffee-break. Oh Yeh!!! it’s free at…

http://www.powerdefrag.com

Yer welcome
                                                          Starglo

Do not use Windows Defragers because they are very poor! What you need to do is use some Thrid Party software. I use Norton because it does a bloddy good job and it does it quickly too! You could also use the program posted above or Disk Keeper. Any way though do not use Windows Defraggers!
Cheers
ChicaneWeaver
:):):slight_smile:

Thanks guys for the tips. I’ll give them a try. It can’t get any worse I guess:cool:

Some feedback on this one :

I tried Power defrag and diskeeper
The first time it took me ages as it was 215 days ago I defragged.
Then I deleted some files, did some (un)installs and ran again.
First the powerdefrag and it took more than an hour to complete.
Afterwards I did the same and ran Diskeeper. It took me about 20 minutes. I must say I like Diskeeper also because you can do other things in the meantime, which is not the case with powerdefrag and you can let it run in the background.
With the few tests I did upto now I must say for the moment I prefer Diskeeper.

Thanks for your help folks

that is alright any time, this is wat the CDFREAKS forum is about!
Cheers
ChicaneWeaver
:):):slight_smile:

I’m glad that you’re defragging now…try to do it at least once a week and I’m sure you’ll notice that your comp is running a lot better. Both powerdefrag and disk-keeper are GOOD programs… I just happen to like powerdefrag because of the way that it works…Now that your files are in reasonable order I think that either program would take about the same amount of time to do the job…Good Luck!!
Starglo.