Defrag Software

vbimport

Hi, Everybody. Anyone know of good defrag software. Something that works with vista and win xp. Thanks in advance.

Mr. Bill :smiley:

You could check out O&O Defrag.

There is the program that comes with Windows. Or JKdefrag, a freeware program…

I use O&O v10

I like JKDefrag. It can clean the registry also. :flower:

Auslogics is quick and FREE !! I highly recommend this software!

Thanks to every one that reply to my question. I don’t like windows defrag. I will take a look at the other ones.

Mr.Bill :bow: :bow: :bow:

I use Diskeeper Pro 2008 on Vista laptop and XP desktop; it’s excellent on both - stable, fast and proper defrag with low resource usage. The background defrag mode is super-useful because you never have to manually defrag the drives after installation of Diskeeper:cool:. You can try out the free trial versions from their site.

I have become so used to O&O Defrag, I havent even tried anything else.:cool:

If paying PD2008 (PerfectDisk) is the best IMHO. ( http://www.raxco.com/ )
Especially with Vista.
SmartDefrag from iobit, which free is also not bad. ( http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html )
If really serious , then look at UltimateDefrag2008. Not free. ( http://www.disktrix.com/ )

Thanks Nightscribe I have an older ver. of diskeeper. It is diskeeper Pro. ver. 8.0 I just wanted to try something esle. Also I tryed to install Ver. 8.0 on my note book that has vista on it. I don’t think that vista would install it.

Hi, Alan! Did you like O&O over diskeeper pro 2008? Thanks again to all in adavance. You guys are great. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mr. Bill :slight_smile:

[quote=Mr.Bill;2066681]Thanks Nightscribe I have an older ver. of diskeeper. It is diskeeper Pro. ver. 8.0 I just wanted to try something esle. Also I tryed to install Ver. 8.0 on my note book that has vista on it. I don’t think that vista would install it.

Hi, Alan! Did you like O&O over diskeeper pro 2008? Thanks again to all in adavance. You guys are great. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mr. Bill :)[/quote] Hi Mr. Bill:
I have never tried the new Diskeeper Pro 2008, but I am very satisfied with O&O Pro Premiere, it Defrags in the background and I just [B]set it and forget it[/B]. ( Like Ron Popeil LOL).

Hey Alan, Do you know if I can install O&O Defrag 10 on more than one pc. I have two desk tops and one notebook. Or do I need to purchase O&O for each PC?

Thanks
Mr. Bill :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
I used 0&0 till I went over to Vista.
PerfectDisk2008 works better especially offline defragging.
If you are going to buy then PerfectDisk is by far the better option for Vista.

Hi :slight_smile:
Most defragging s/w now has the ability to ‘run in background’.
Hoever ‘Full’ & ‘Offline’ defraging are still required to maintain a fully defragged drive.
The applies in particular to Vista, which locks files. Preventing ‘background’ defragging in any shape.
Full defragging will defrag most of this area.
However there will remain a ‘hardcore’ lock of some key files even then.
Hence the need ( again more so with Vista) for ‘Offline’ defragging.
Another thing to note is that some programs defrag in a different priority to standard defrag.
Meaning that a proper complete defrag is never acheived.

[quote=Mr.Bill;2066694]Hey Alan, Do you know if I can install O&O Defrag 10 on more than one pc. I have two desk tops and one notebook. Or do I need to purchase O&O for each PC?

Thanks
Mr. Bill :)[/quote]
Yes you need a different licence for each PC. I only run it on my desktop, my son just uses the MS defrag on his lappy.:bigsmile:

O.K. Thanks Zebadee, :slight_smile: Thanks Alan. :slight_smile: All I need to do now is think about which one I want now.

Mr.Bill :iagree:

I’m a big fan of PerfectDisk 2008 Professional.
It’s also worth some consideration. After all, I gave up Diskeeper after many years of use for this.

http://www.raxco.com/home_office/home_perfectdisk_professional.cfm

A free evaluation copy can be downloaded and tested from the web site.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2066719]Hi :slight_smile:
Most defragging s/w now has the ability to ‘run in background’.
Hoever ‘Full’ & ‘Offline’ defraging are still required to maintain a fully defragged drive.
The applies in particular to Vista, which locks files. Preventing ‘background’ defragging in any shape.
Full defragging will defrag most of this area.
However there will remain a ‘hardcore’ lock of some key files even then.
Hence the need ( again more so with Vista) for ‘Offline’ defragging.
Another thing to note is that some programs defrag in a different priority to standard defrag.
Meaning that a proper complete defrag is never acheived.[/QUOTE]

You are right, but IME Diskeeper 2k8 works a bit differently since it’s optimized for ‘background’ defrag with low resource consumption, rather than being a manual defragger with an optional ‘background’ mode. It’s meant to be installed and turned on…and that’s it…almost nothing else to do. It was designed for corporate applications (servers etc) and the tech made it’s way to the desktop editions I think.

The locked files that needed an ‘offline defrag’ are usually the MFT and page file, but DK defrags most of the MFT ‘online’ itself. Only the last stage needs to be defragged ‘offline’ and it’s usually very short. It also actively minimizes the fragmentation of the MFT by enlarging it ‘in advance’ when required. I think same goes for PF, but not 100% sure.

Defragging vista if VSS is enabled on partitions with smaller than 16k cluster size is quite tricky. Excessive file movement apparently fools the VSS and triggers the creation of new shadow copies/SRPs thereby deleting older ones. Or so, i’ve read.

So, it’s good to defrag Vista and WHS with defraggers that have a VSS friendly defrag mode. In fact, I use only the VSS defrag mode of DK on Vista, and so far it’s been fine.
:slight_smile:

I personally don’t mind suing the Windows built in defrag, but at my job we use Perfect Disk, and it does a descent adequate job IMO.