Defrag locked recovery drive has only 2% avail. free space

vbimport

I need to defrag my recovery drive which is locked. There is only 2% avail space. I can’t get to any files to move an free up space since its locked by manufacture. Its an HP Pavilion laptop. Any suggestions

Do you mean recovery partition? I don’t know of any recovery “drive”. You can’t defrag a recovery partition.

It’s my e drive. It says HP_RECOVERY (E:)

It’s locked so you won’t accidentally delete the RECOVERY files…Why do you need to free up space on the recovery drive/partition?..Is the C: drive full?

I was assuming all drives need to be defragged. The defrag analysis shows almost the entire drive as being fragmented.

[QUOTE=lasf;2474651]I need to defrag my recovery drive which is locked. There is only 2% avail space.[/QUOTE]
Defragging doesn’t free up space on a drive, it just shifts the data around. To get more space on a drive, delete some of the files on it, after backing up of course :wink:

It is not necessary to defrag a recovery partition; this holds data that is only ever accessed in the event of a system restore and will not affect day-to-day performance. There should be close to 0% free on any recovery partition as anything more is wasted space.

[QUOTE=lasf;2474661]I was assuming all drives need to be defragged. The defrag analysis shows almost the entire drive as being fragmented.[/QUOTE]

Don’t worry about it, you’re fine. You can’t use it for anything else anyway and the only time it’s accessed is when you actually do a system “recovery”.

Thank you. I thought it woud cause my computer to stop running at some point.