Definately new and have questions

vbimport

Hey everyone. Just getting into this stuff here. Will tell ya what I got and see if ya can help me.

Looking to burn copies of my DVD’s. Some are gettin old and would like copies before they don’t or won’t play anymore.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1055CL computer. It has a CD/DVD writer in it. Want specs, you’ll have to tell me where to find them. I don’t know.
These are programs I have on it. Don’t know if any of them will work for burning DVD’s with these copyrights and actually work.

CDBurnerXp
Power DVD
HP DVD
Ulead DVD movie factory
DVD Shrink 3.2
RealPlayer 11 that I usually watch my DVD’s with on the computer, when I do.

Have a couple burned DVD’s that someone else gave me. Some are DVD-R and some are DVD+R. Both work in my stand alone DVD player. My first try I burned a copy of a movie on both a +R and -R after Putting original through Shrink. Both will play on the computer, but neither will play in my DVD player. One player they just continually try and load. My DVD/VCR combo it gives me an error message…This disc my not have playback capabilities.

So, can anyone put me in the right direction as to where I went wrong and how I can get them to play. I have been reading a lot on here lately down to even having a bad brand on DVD’s to burn too. Yes, I am currently using Memorex, but I know they will play in my DVD player, because I have some that were given to me that do. I only have them to try this stuff with until I know it’s working right. Why waist money on the good stuff? Oh and my DVD player is a JVC XV-N50. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, first thing is to get an up to date decryption/ripping program. A free one that is still being updated is DVDFab HD Decrypter, found here:
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Once you decrypt and rip the movie to the hard drive, you can use DVDShrink to reduce the size of the movie to fit onto a recordable disk. Read a guide or two on using Shrink, because it is a versatile program that will allow you to take out extras, or foreign soundtracks, or menus if you’d like. There are guides here at cdfreaks, http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/ or at www.mrbass.org among other places.

The reason to buy the “good stuff” is because it works. You don’t waste time and money buying crapola Memorex. It would help to know which burner you are using and your current firmware. Download Nero CD/DVD Speed and it will tell you the make and model burner, and on the disk info tab, will tell you the mid code of your current blank dvds. (mid code is manufacturer identification code, which will tell us a great deal about the disks). Nero CD/DVD Speed is free to download and use. http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

By the way, Memorex changes suppliers so often there is no telling what you have. Which is why some Memorex might work with your player, and others don’t. Verbatim is generally recommended around here.

CDBurnerXp can be used to burn the dvds though I personally don’t much like the program and don’t use it. If you want a free alternative look at ImgBurn and look through the guides at their forum for burning dvd video with it.

[quote=Kerry56;2002456]By the way, Memorex changes suppliers so often there is no telling what you have. Which is why some Memorex might work with your player, and others don’t. Verbatim is generally recommended around here.

Good to know. Thanks!

Thanks for the info Kerry56. I’ll look into the programs and get the info you mentioned.

Hopefully this has all that you mentioned getting to help.

[02:53:36] Drive: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E F503
[02:56:04] Drive: HP DVD Writer 630c CH16
[02:56:04] Disc: Blank DVD, 4.38 GB, CMC MAG E01
[02:58:01] Creating Data Disc
[03:06:48] Speed:4-8 X P-CAV (7.52 X average)
[03:06:52] Elapsed Time: 8:51

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R
Book Type : DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: : CMC
MID : CMC MAG E01 000 (00h)
Write speeds: : 2.4 X - 4 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity : n/a
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - 01 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F 00 00 00 00 - …&.?..
0010 - 00 00 00 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 47 00 45 30 31 00 38 - …CMC.MAG.E01.8
0020 - 23 54 37 10 02 38 6A 02 88 67 15 15 0B 0B 08 08 - #T7…8j…g…
0030 - 01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0D 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …

Your burner is an HP 630c, which is a few years old now, and based on Philips or BenQ I’m not sure which. There are a few threads about crossflashing to a BenQ 1620 here in the forums. In any case, this burner is getting close to retirement age. I have an BenQ 1620 that I only use for scanning nowdays.

You seem to have the latest firmware that is available from HP, version CH16. It is about 3yrs old. There are lots of types of blank media that have come out since then that are not supported by your drive’s firmware. In other words it will be harder and harder to find media that works well with this drive.

The disks you are using should be ok with this drive. CMC MAG E01 is an older type of 8x +R. Never used it myself, but scans in the blank dvd forum look all right for the most part. CMC media can be variable in quality however, so you may have a poor batch. Hard to tell long distance. Try burning these disks at 4x speed.

If you want to continue using this burner, I would look for 8x speed Verbatim in local shops (if you can find it), or get Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks online. The TY media can be found at rima.com or supermediastore.com It isn’t cheap but will match up well with your burner.

Good to know. So do I even need any of these on my computer?
Power DVD
HP DVD
Ulead DVD movie factory

I usually like to have just one program instead of several that do the same thing. Haven’t used any of these to know though.

PowerDVD is what I use to watch dvds on my computer. If you like your current dvd player software, there is no need for this.

I don’t really know what HP DVD is, so I can’t help there.

Ulead DVD movie factory should be software that lets you create dvds from various video sources, usually DV from a camcorder. Ulead makes lots of different versions, so I don’t know exactly what you have here.

Thanks for all the help so far. Have encountered an error message with ImgBurn. Can anyone tell me what needs or can be done? Here is what the message says and the options it gives…

DeviceIoControl (FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed!

Device: [2:1:0] HP DVD Writer 630c CH16 (E: ) (ATA)

Unable to lock volume for exclusive access.

Reason: Access is denied

Cancel Try Again Continue

Anybody tell me what I need to do from here?

Oh, and I did get new DVD’s today. This is the first time trying to use them. They are HP DVD+R 16x 4.7g 120 min.

Got the volume issue resolved. Just in case there’s others that encounter this problem…
That error meant that I had another program running using what it needed. In my case, my yahoo instant messanger was causing the problem. If you use ImgBurn, when you go to burn a DVD, make sure your messanger is signed out.