Defective DVD Copies

vbimport

I have been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD to back up movies. Recently I have been having the following problem. The movie burns all the way through with no problem but when you look at the finished disc there is a small circle around the end of the disc where the movie apparently did not burn properly.
When the movie gets to this point during playback it will freeze up. I have used three different types of blank discs with the same results.
Recently the circle started appearing in the middle of the burnt disc. Then, for a while the first copy of every disc i backed up would not play in any of my players but the second copy was playable.
Last night I switched back to DVD Shrink and Nero and the circle was back to the end of the disc {actually about 1/2 inch from the ouside edge.
I am currently burning with Verbatim blanks which were recommended as better quality.
At this point I am wondering if it is aproblem with my burner as it has happened with so many different types of discs. Any help would be appreciated

To totally exclude a media issue, the best way is to burn some of your discs with a different burner. Maybe you can ask a friend to burn a couple of discs and see if also with a different drive there is the same problem.

Except from the aspect of the data surface, did you check the discs? There are playback problems in these discs? Can you post a scan or a transfer rate test (TRT) with cd-dvd speed? If your drive is not reliable for scans, the TRT is a good enough test to check disc readability, but I suggest to not use version 4.7.7.15 because it has a bug in the TRt test; use a previous version instead :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=smudgebucket;2011230]I have been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD to back up movies. Recently I have been having the following problem. The movie burns all the way through with no problem but when you look at the finished disc there is a small circle around the end of the disc where the movie apparently did not burn properly.
When the movie gets to this point during playback it will freeze up. I have used three different types of blank discs with the same results.
Recently the circle started appearing in the middle of the burnt disc. Then, for a while the first copy of every disc i backed up would not play in any of my players but the second copy was playable.
Last night I switched back to DVD Shrink and Nero and the circle was back to the end of the disc {actually about 1/2 inch from the ouside edge.
I am currently burning with Verbatim blanks which were recommended as better quality.
At this point I am wondering if it is aproblem with my burner as it has happened with so many different types of discs. Any help would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

Sounds as if it could possibly be a problem with your drive changing write strategies mid-way through the burn.

What make and model is your DVD writer and roughly how old is it?

[B]Wombler[/B]

The information on the computer itself says that the burner is a Lightscribe. The computer is a HP a1320n I can find no further info on the burners model. It is about 2 years old and yes, it has been heavily used.
Thanks for respondind. Do you think a new burner is in order?

[QUOTE=smudgebucket;2011252]The information on the computer itself says that the burner is a Lightscribe. The computer is a HP a1320n I can find no further info on the burners model. It is about 2 years old and yes, it has been heavily used.
Thanks for respondind. Do you think a new burner is in order?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm… must be an HP OEM version.

Sounds as if it might be on the way out but I’d be reluctant to recommend buying a new drive unless we’re certain that’s what’s wrong.

I’d like to find out if the drive is designed to vary the write strategy during burns as it seems that that might be where the problem lies. To do that though we need to identify the exact model.

Does Nero Info Tool give any more information, firmware version etc.?

Check this pageout as well.

[B]Wombler[/B]

ok, the burner is HP DVD Writer 740B. I went to the HP site and the latest firmware update is the same as installed on my computer {H124}

[QUOTE=smudgebucket;2011314]ok, the burner is HP DVD Writer 740B. I went to the HP site and the latest firmware update is the same as installed on my computer {H124}[/QUOTE]

Sorry there’s almost no info. available on that drive and there haven’t been any firmware updates that I can locate even hacked ones.

A couple of other things you can try though.

Try a different IDE cable and see if that helps as it could be a faulty cable or a badly seated connection (either at the motherboard or drive ends).

Secondly do you have a friend that could lend you a writer to try in your machine or alternatively could test your writer in their machine?

If so try that.

New writers are pretty cheap these days though so if the worst comes to the worst at least it won’t cost you too much to replace.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler for your help

I almost fell off the chair reading this post. I have the exact same problem: DVD files burn ok, but the finished disc has a small (at times large) circle in it. When played (I tried with several different players), the disc freezes. I used different blank discs, different burning software. Nada.
My laptop is still under warranty so I took it to a Toshiba lab. I got it back today, as they put in a new DVD drive (no charge, luckily).
The first two burns were fine, the third one is a coaster. Again. :sad:
Same problem. Small circle on burned disc, and movie skips and freezes.
Obviously, the drive was ok. So what the hell…?
Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

The ones with trouble here need to visit the media forum.

[QUOTE=Bob;2022865]The ones with trouble here need to visit the media forum.[/QUOTE]

Why the media forum? I don’t understand… I tried using several different media and different brands, it’s clearly not a media problem.
Also, it’s clearly not a DVD drive problem, as it’s brand new.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Most of times these problems are due to a bad burned disc, and most of times this is due to a low quality disc. Believe it or not, 99% of discs available in the market are low quality media.

Currently only two brands of discs are the most reliable: Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. All other discs have a very variable quality from decent/good to totally ugly.

The appearance of circular regions on the burned surface can be due to the writing strategies, mostly if the drive writes in “zones”, but this is only an aesthetic issue, nothing to be worried about :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2023147]The appearance of circular regions on the burned surface can be due to the writing strategies, mostly if the drive writes in “zones”, but this is only an aesthetic issue, nothing to be worried about :)[/QUOTE]

Absolutely and in my mind it’s an indication of increased quality as the write strategy is being optimised for each section of the disc rather than picking a fixed compromise for the entire disc.

[B]Wombler[/B]