Defeating MSDN Anti-Copying Measures

I have an MSDN DVD from July of 2000 that I wish to backup before something happens to it. I have no problems making an image of the DVD, except that the size of the image is 12+ gigs. After doing some research, I came across a posting where the author explains that the directory structure on the DVD is arranged in such a way as that multiple entries in the directory point to the same file location on the DVD, so that when an image is created from the DVD, that exact same file could be added to the image several times, even though it only exists on the DVD in one place.

Is there a way to defeat this ‘copy protection’ method?

If the image you made is 12GB, then something is definitely wrong. Are you sure you’re not referring to the size of all files on the DVD ?

Anyway, such DVDs are made with CDImage, a tool freely available on the net. Apart from their strange file structure, they are normal-sized DVDs, that you should be able to copy with BW / Alcohol / CCD, or even Nero & others, as long as the original DVD is single-layer.

Explorer reports the size of the DVD as being 7.66 gigs. As far as I know, it is a single layer dvd. I’ve tried copying the dvd ‘on the fly’ as well as first creating an image, using alcohol, clonecd, discjuggler, and nero. In each case I get a message that the destination medium is to small. Windows explorer reports that the contents of the DVD take up 7.66 gigs.

I will try the CDImage utility you have mentioned, thanx.

I got that dvd too and they are double layer
So yo you need a dl dvd burner and media

Thanx for the input. Since I only have a sl burner, I guess I will have to settle for spanning an image of the dvd over several dvds.

At least I can stop mulling over it now. =)

Also note that this is not an anti-copying measure. It is a space saving measure.

Yah, I figured as much. That’s why I put ‘copy-protection’ in quotes in my first posting. =)

Microsoft uses pointers to refer to duplicate files on some of the Operating System CDs rather than duplicate the file multiple times, thus reducing the size on a CD/DVD. I guess one could consider this a form of copy protection, but the primary purpose is probably to save space and make the data fit on standard media. Search for a 108k file called cdimage.exe. Once obtained type the name of the command line program without any arguments and the options are self explanatory. This program may shrink your files and make an ISO image which will fit on a normal size DVD. Since the size of your files is 12 Gigs, the original is probably dual layered, you need to check this. I think I have made different post on this, usually in regards to slipstreaming a service pack to make an integrated OS disc with the service pack installed, but never in regards to copy protection.

BlindWrite now offers DL back-ups, so long as you have a DL burner.

He already said he’s only got a SL burner.

@AngryHostage: Even though you only have a single layer DVD burner you might wish to go ahead and make an ISO image and make sure that it will fit on a DL disc “before something happens to it.” Once you have this image you can store it as space permits. If you don’t have the space, you could split the disc in parts in such a manner that the ISO file could be reconstructed for later DL burning should the worst happen. I happen to mention this because my VCC+ compiler help files are on a MSDN CD which is now missing. I certainly wish I had an image of that disc!

Splitting the files on to 2 SL disks can possibly make installing the files naturally, impossible.

MagicISO can make iso image over 12G from DVD. Please try it.

http://www.magiciso.com/

But what about burning it? A useless add-on to a dead topic.

Could just create the image splitting it at 4.5gb and burn them to disc with Nero. Then copy the image to HDD & mount with D-Tools to install.

Why just simply burn to a dvd+r dl with decrypter in iso mode

Sorry for the bad english

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?kfk

Look at the top application KFK, it will split the file and rebuild.

I didn’t realize the topic was so old, but anyways there is a way.

Well, at least there will be an answer for searchers now.