Default IDE drivers?

vbimport

I have an Optiarc AD-7170A. I read that if i upgrade the firmware, it’s recommended to use the Microsoft default IDE drivers. The drivers that were installed with XP SP2 are: VIA Bus Master IDE Controller. How do i install the default ms ones? I tried uninstalling VIA Bus Master IDE Controller. When i rebooted it reinstalled automatically.

Welcome to the forum.
Default MS IDE drivers have been proven to work very well with optical drives.
In the case of the Optiarc drives you will have to force the IDE controller into PIO mode to flash the drive.
Probably the easiest way to do this is to boot Windows into safe mode and then flash your drive.

Thank you for the welcome. Im afraid my question remains unanswered.

If you haven’t installed new chipset drivers from VIA then those would be the default microsoft IDE drivers for your chipset.

:iagree: Yes it has: [B]Dee [/B]has given you the procedure. Boot in safe mode (F8 - if you don’t know how to do that, just google “[I]safe mode F8[/I] XP”), flash your drive, then reboot normally.

If you really want to get rid of the VIA drivers (assuming they [I]have[/I] been installed, which is not clear from your input), just uninstall them and reboot the comp. XP will then automatically install the MS drivers. No-brainer. :cool:

so V’IA Bus Master IDE Controller’ are the default microsoft IDE drivers?

Depends! Just under the driver, the [I]provider[/I] of the driver is mentioned. Either it’s VIA, or it’s Microsoft.
Go to device manager, IDE controllers, double-click Primary IDE controller, Drivers tab, and tell us what’s written [I]under[/I] the driver name (just before the date).

The provider is Microsoft. Thank you for clearing this up for me.