Deep Purple Dye iNformation

vbimport

hello guys!

is it true that the darker the dye the better the longetivity?

here i can get Sony 8x -R(SONY08D1) which has light purple dye (Made in Taiwan)
and MBI 16x -R which is very very deep purple in color.

(note that Sony is 8x, but it allows upto 16x - overspeeding)

I have SONY DRU810a (Made in Taiwan - rebadged Benq i think) writer

( i dont get other good dvds like TY/Verb so these are the only choice)

Will the DVDs with Deep Purple dye last longer than the one with lighter purple shade?

I certainly wouldn’t count on it. Ritek G04 and G05’s both had very dark purple dye. To be honest I don’t think there’s any real way to know, especially based on the darkness of the dye.

Try a small spindle or two of each and see which is most compatable with your burner and at which speed the media burns best at. Test your older burns now and again and back-up to different media on signs of degredation.

Can anyone confirm that darker dyes tend to be cyanide based and lighter azo based? Just speculating on a couple of posts I read. Cyanide based dyes have been alleged to fare better in accellerated aging tests, right?

I honestly don’t think you can base how long your media is going to last just on the dye though. Fact is, we just don’t know because the technology is too new to be tried and tested properly. :confused:

Errr… you mean cyanine based right? Cyanide based dyes might be quite lethal…

That was not the conclusion I made based on interpretating most test results.
In most cases azo performed better as Cyanine for DVD recordables. ALso generalizing is never good because there are different azo and cyanine dye’s from different compannies that can perform quite different.
(Seeing some of my pthalocyanine cd-r’s performing much worse as cyanine or azo cd-r’s while some other pthalocyanine disc’s are still fine.)

But then again there are much more different dye’s.
Fuji has oxolife a oxonol based dye. This dye is also in use by quite some other manufacturers like Prodisc, CMC, Ritek, MBIL.

I was just refering to this quote

"Discs using azo dye as the data layer had less stability in light exposure and temperature/humidity stress testing"
from this thread. Granted it refers to CD’s, and the most important part of your post must be kept in mind:

Thanks for sharing your observations.

Aheh. :o

I say back. Look at the C’t test results real or the summary on cdrlabs board.
Then link the disc’s back to used technology.
Hmm I don’t think that AZO did a bad job for dvd recordables then.
Also there is quite some other material in favour of azo.
Some coloured. Still if you would take a good look at quite some propaganda information you could make one very interresting conclusion which is in favour of a dye.

Also like my real life experience all my TY cyanine and MCC azo disc’s are still working while other compannies (RITEK,MBIL,CMC,maxell) pthalocyanine disc’s are failling. (based on 1-32x cd-r’s ! (Othere media isn’t old enough). Phtalocyanine isn’t a bad dye because I also have some good pthalocyanine still (mitsui,Daxon,FUJI,KODAK,mpo)
Also ritek,mbil,cmc cyanine were also problematic for me.

If that were true then I guess people should stop using Taiyo Yuden, as the dye is pale :smiley:

I don’t think the dye colour has anything to do - there are many factors to consider (how well the disc was manufactured, bonding, evenly spread dye, the formulation, the burner, firmware, etc…) I think dye colour is irrelevant.

And the people who claim dark purple dyes are better, IMO, are spreading myths :slight_smile:

And how the disc is stored after burning. :slight_smile:

Goes along the same as burning discs at slower than rated speeds always gives better quality myth.

Myths, myths and myths… :rolleyes:

People like the idea to have easy, accessible ways to sort out good from bad things, and most are ridiculous nonsense. Think of mushrooms… :bigsmile:

Mmmmmh… MUSHROOMS!.. I can think of a few good varieties I remember from my youth, but that would be off topic-. :bigsmile:

Best judge of quality media is good results by others here using the same burner/firmware as you.

Dye colour is a crappy way to judge media quality. If dark=good then Ritek G05 would be [sarcasm mode] “the greatest media ever”. Evidently it is not. :disagree:

Yup learned long ago that the dye color=quality indicator, is a myth. As mentioned above some of the worst media on the market has the darkest purple dyes in existance. By that standard Ritek G05 would be king and Taiyo Yuden and MCC would be it’s inferrior. Actual tests here and elsewhere prove otherwise. :wink:

Yeah, like “toxic mushrooms have an ugly colour” and “edible mushrooms have a nice fragrance” and similar ignorant stupidities? :bigsmile: - rather similar attitude with DVDRs colour … good point Santa :wink:

There should be a Mythbusters episode about dvds.

Let’s start collecting myths.
Myth 1: All DVDs are created equal.

Myth 10: Ritek is good.

Myth 100: DVDs are made with cyanide.

Myth 1000: Dark dye is good.

Myth 10000: MIT DVDs are good.

Anyone?

Depends how you define Good. My CMC-made Verbs (MIT) are what I’d call good. As are my MIT Infinitis.

Bit of a sweeping statement there, kg_evilboy :wink:

Myth 100000: CMC media is poor quality media
Myth 1000000: Burning at slower speeds always gives better burn quality
Myth 10000000: You need to burn at 1x to backup discs for playstation/xbox
Myth 100000000: You can burn any kind of disc using Windows explorer

Myth 1000000000: The drive is defective, because Windows Explorer says “CD Drive”.
Myth 10000000000: All drives are created equal.
Myth 100000000000: There is no degradation.
Myth 1000000000000: Media code equals manufacturer.
Oops, let’s replace MIT by MIHK then :iagree:

Much better idea (at least until someone comes along and says “Hey, my MIHK discs are good!”) :bigsmile:

I must admit though, for some strange reason every time I come across a disc with a dark purple dye I always have a sudden urge to down some freshly baked blueberry pies, the THICK kind, thick creamy blueberries and a delicious crust ! :smiley: