Deep-format a DVD-RW Disc?

Hi!

Just recently, I had to throw one of my Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW discs into the trashcan, since there always would come errors when burning a DVD movie for instance.
Now it’s happening with my 2nd DVD-RW disc too.

I just don’t understand; DVD-RW discs are blank media, just like DVD-R and its sisters. There are no moving parts, so technically the DVD-RW disc should have infinite delete/write cycles, right? Or doesn’t it work that way?

Does a DVD-RW disc have a limit of a specified numbers of delete/write cycles? I think I read a long time ago that a DVD could do 1000 of those cycles.
But I haven’t even done 300 on my DVD-RW disc yet. So that’s why I suspect Nero Burning Rom for not deleting the data completly on the disc, when I do a full format. (There aren’t any big scratches)

Is there an application out there that can do a deep format of a DVD-RW disc to ensure that the disc is 100% blank? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
XSTREM.

** Moved to main Blank Media forum **

The DVD Tests forum is for test results only, and you’re more likely to get a reply here in the main Blank Media forum. :wink:

If you get 300 burns from a DVD-RW you should consider yourself lucky.

In theory they should be good for 1000 rewrites, but in real use they usually wear out long beforee thta due to a combination of the phase-change layer degrading, scratches and scuff marks, fingerprints etc.

The life will normally be longer if you perform a “full erase” once in a while instead of just doing a “quick erase”. None of the drives available on the market today can perform a DC erase (some NuTech DVD burners could perform a DC erase).

[QUOTE=XSTREM;2059291]Hi!

Just recently, I had to throw one of my Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW discs into the trashcan, since there always would come errors when burning a DVD movie for instance.
Now it’s happening with my 2nd DVD-RW disc too.

I just don’t understand; DVD-RW discs are blank media, just like DVD-R and its sisters. There are no moving parts, so technically the DVD-RW disc should have infinite delete/write cycles, right? Or doesn’t it work that way?

Does a DVD-RW disc have a limit of a specified numbers of delete/write cycles? I think I read a long time ago that a DVD could do 1000 of those cycles.
But I haven’t even done 300 on my DVD-RW disc yet. So that’s why I suspect Nero Burning Rom for not deleting the data completly on the disc, when I do a full format. (There aren’t any big scratches)

Is there an application out there that can do a deep format of a DVD-RW disc to ensure that the disc is 100% blank? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
XSTREM.[/QUOTE]

I consider myself blessed to get 30 cycles from a -RW disc, much less 300. I do a full erase after every use, which seems to help keep the error rates lower. I have much better luck with +RW discs.

Thank’s Arachne. :slight_smile:

Oh, I see.
So there is nothing unusual about it. Hm, guess I’ll have to buy some new ones. And you say DVD+RW is better than DVD-RW, CDan? I’ll buy some of those then. I thought DVD-/+RWs would last for an eternity… Or until it got some serious scratches (nothing lasts forever), but I guess there are a bunch of other factors too.

Thanks a lot of the answers!

-XSTREM.

So really you are getting 60 times because you do a full write and then every single time a full write over again. I do a full erase/format cycle every few months, but then I get 3-400 times at least.

Some of my Rioch RICOHJPN-W21-001 8x DVD+RW’s are 3 or 4 years old with max use at over 3 times a week, I see no point in doing a full erase when it will be doing just the same, but with data loaded on after every time I do a full write.

I do a full erase/format if I have problems or see a bad trend starting, IMO anything more is just a waste of the life.

What I have found is its only worth getting good quality RW media Rioch 8x and Verbatim 4x and 8x MKM-A03-000 are all I use, I have had both Imation DVD-RW:OPTODISCW004 and DVD+RW:MBIPG101-W04-000 and still have half unopened, as I see them as nothing more than a waste of money.

FWIW I’ve been using the same +RWs [HP branded PHILIPS 041] for 3+ years and the only discs I’ve trashed were ones I accidentally scratched. I’ve used in standalone dvd recorders (LiteOn 5005 and Pana ES15), internal burners including a BenQ 1640 and an external [LG 204N].

Once in a great while one will become unreadable or unable to be quick erased and so I’ll give it a full erase and then it’s good as new.

IMATION +RWs were the worst ever. One use and then unusable. Ironically they were PHILIPS 041, too.

From my experience, CMC made DVD+RW (with a hubcode starting with PWD6) is nothing but excellent. I have some MKM A02 and PHILLIPS 041 that I’m constantly writing to with my LVW5005 and they’ve held up very well (the scans aren’t pretty, in fact they’re nasty…I think it’s the drive in the 5005, but they’re perfectly readable).

But stay away from INFODISC A10. I bought 3 unbranded ones earlier this year and 2 of them died less than a month later.

As well, I’ve also heard good things about RICOHJPN Wxx DVD+RWs in the past (and in this thread). What brands can you find them under? And are these Ritek made (as Ritek makes DVDR media with Ricoh codes)?

[QUOTE=theSpam;2060308]From my experience, CMC made DVD+RW (with a hubcode starting with PWD6) is nothing but excellent. I have some MKM A02 and PHILLIPS 041 that I’m constantly writing to with my LVW5005 and they’ve held up very well (the scans aren’t pretty, in fact they’re nasty…I think it’s the drive in the 5005, but they’re perfectly readable).

But stay away from INFODISC A10. I bought 3 unbranded ones earlier this year and 2 of them died less than a month later.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have exactly the same experience. CMC’s DVD±RW and CD-RWs are excellent, I never had any problems also with Prodisc’s RW media.
On the other hand, Infodiscs and especially those Memorex branded are nothing but a pure crap :rolleyes::Z:Z:Z

As well, I’ve also heard good things about RICOHJPN Wxx DVD+RWs in the past (and in this thread). What brands can you find them under? And are these Ritek made (as Ritek makes DVDR media with Ricoh codes)?

Sony, Ricoh, Maxell, Philips, Imation, TDK, Memorex (rare). Yes, they are made by Ritek, but I won’t be surprised if also MBI made some of them.

You could try using DVD-RAM, of course. :slight_smile:

dvd-ram is slow, and here in Greece it’s hard to find a disc that is faster
than 3x, so when you need speed (i don’t need quality on rw media)
you’ll go with the 6x & 8x rw.

Same here in Australia, I’ve only seen 3x DVD-RAM discs when there are supposed to be 5x, and Maxell make a 12x version, maybe only in Asia? How about the US?

Thank you a lot for the replies!

DVD-RAM can’t be read by my DVD-player unfortunatly, and they’re pretty expensive.
How is the quality if we look at Verbatim?

[QUOTE=kahnmeister;2061136]Same here in Australia, I’ve only seen 3x DVD-RAM discs when there are supposed to be 5x, and Maxell make a 12x version, maybe only in Asia? How about the US?[/QUOTE]

12x only available in Asia due to (big biz) marketing strategies.