Decrypt and shrink dvd's

vbimport

Does anyone know of a free decrypter and a free shrink program for Mac OS.

Options in the Mac operating system are limited if you want to use free software. You can decrypt using Fairmount and VLC. You can decrypt using Handbrake and VLC. But I’m not aware of a program similar to DVDShrink for Mac operating systems that is free. There are some commercial programs, like DVD2OneX and DVDReMaster.

Handbrake would allow you to make .mp4 or .mkv files from dvd video, and reduce the size considerably, with good quality results.

By the way, copying movies with advanced structural protection will give you problems with the free decryption options (working with VLC). They reportedly work well with movies that only have CSS encryption.

Thanks for the information. I may try Handbrake

[QUOTE=babeinthesprings;2522240]Thanks for the information. I may try Handbrake[/QUOTE]
You can actually run DVD Shrink within Mac but it requires some work on your part. Just make sure you READ all the instructions and follow them step by step. I was too excited when I first tried and messed up so had to start over but I did it and it does work! See link below. Good luck! :smiley:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/249304-DVD-Shrink-for-Mac

Thanks. Will let you know how it works

Kerry56—

Options in the Mac operating system are limited if you want to use free software. You can decrypt using Fairmount and VLC. You can decrypt using Handbrake and VLC. But I’m not aware of a program similar to DVDShrink for Mac operating systems that is free. There are some commercial programs, like DVD2OneX and DVDReMaster.

Handbrake would allow you to make .mp4 or .mkv files from dvd video, and reduce the size considerably, with good quality results.

By the way, copying movies with advanced structural protection will give you problems with the free decryption options (working with VLC). They reportedly work well with movies that only have CSS encryption.

Im on Windows XP. I have been using DVD Shrink but at times it wont have anything to do with the occasional DVD just wont work, but most others it will work. Ive downloaded DVD Decrypter, does that do the same thing as DVD Shrink?:slight_smile:

@deezalboy
DVDShrink was abandoned many years ago, before the onset of structural protection added to dvds to prevent copying. It simply won’t work as a decryption program with those types of dvds. DVDDecrypter is another old decryption program that was at one time the very best, but development was stopped (forcibly) by Macrovision. It is also ineffective against most added protections above and beyond the usual CSS encryption.

DVDDecrypter was just a decryption program. Shrink combined decryption and transcoding ( a type of compression) to fit movies onto a single layer dvd.

If you want a modern decryption program, and don’t mind paying for it, look into AnyDVD and DVDFab. They are the two best for this.

The only free options are DVDFab HD Decrypter and DVDFab Passkey. DVDFab HD Decrypter is the free decryption/ripping section within DVDFab. It will continue to work even after the trial for the main part of DVDFab expires. The only caveat is that its decryption abilities will lag behind the commercial product by 4 to 8 weeks.

DVDFab Passkey is a new program that works in a similar fashion to AnyDVD. It is just for decryption and it is only free while still in beta. It will eventually be a commercial product. I haven’t tried it, but if it works like AnyDVD, you should be able to run it in the background to break encryption and let DVDShrink run as usual. With Passkey going, the dvd should look like it is unencrypted to DVDShrink.

Just to add to Kerry56 suggestion on using DVD Shrink with DVDFab’s “Passkey” running in the background…when using DVD Shrink and Passkey together you’ll find that you may need to use the advanced setting within Passkey. :wink:

Oh and don’t forget ImgBurn they make a great threesome :bigsmile:

Kerry56 and StormJumper–
Thank You.

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2522436]Kerry56 and StormJumper–
Thank You.[/QUOTE]

You are welcome :smiley:

@StormJumper , This might be a better question for a DVDFab thread but if you know.
Will Passkey be a paid for software after it gets out of beta ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2522488]@StormJumper , This might be a better question for a DVDFab thread but if you know.
Will Passkey be a paid for software after it gets out of beta ?[/QUOTE]

Yes once it comes out of the beta stage it will need to be registered, the price has not been established yet

Course with all products of this nature it will not be cheap, however it will be a better value if a lifetime registration is bought :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]