Decoding/Burning question

Does anyone here disable their anti-virus &/or anti-spy while decoding/burning? Do you think it affects or does anti-virus scan these files as they are being decoded and slow the comp. down ??? Any input appreciated.

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1914927]Does anyone here disable their anti-virus &/or anti-spy while decoding/burning? Do you think it affects or does anti-virus scan these files as they are being decoded and slow the comp. down ??? Any input appreciated.[/QUOTE]
I certainly don’t & I’ve not experienced any issues.

I use AVG free for my anti-virus & ZoneAlarm for my firewall.

Most (if not all) antivirus programs with active monitoring will only actively scan file types that are capable of carrying a virus, such as executables. They shouldn’t scan video files.

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1914927]Does anyone here disable their anti-virus &/or anti-spy while decoding/burning? Do you think it affects or does anti-virus scan these files as they are being decoded and slow the comp. down ??? Any input appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Any scanning will slow down your system. Whether or not it affects your burns is another matter.

It’s entirely possible that active scans will cause the buffer in your writer to empty during the burn process but most drives nowadays cope with buffer underflows extremely effectively. In fact for some drives that optimise the burning strategy across the entire disc this is a normal occurance and happens every time the write strategy alters during the burn.

I have anti-virus and anti-spyware turned on all the time as do I suspect the majority of users and I’ve never had any problems.

It’s difficult to be categoric about this though as just because I’ve never had any problems doesn’t mean that they can’t or haven’t happened to others.

One thing I have done though is to adjust my scan settings so that they don’t interfere with my own normal peak usage period.

With regard to decoding, although a scan will slow down the process, there are definitely no permanent adverse consequences.

[B]Wombler[/B]