Decision decision decision! (DVDRW: BenQ1620/LG4163/NEC3500, CDRW: Plextor Premium)

vbimport

Okay, I hate to admit, but you guys got another newbie here, which is me! :rolleyes:

Anyway im building my 3rd computer (my last computer is 4+ years old, so a big gap there!)

I am planning on getting two different opicital device, the first one will be mostly used for DVD burning and CD reader for the second device which will be CDRW. For the second one, I want CDRW to be able to pass the latest copy protection. I heard that CDRW do well on that than the DVD-RW, so thats why im adding second device for this purpose. If someone point out that im wrong and explain that theres a better dvd-rw that do well on this, then i will take cd-rw choice out. So heres my choice so far:

DVD-RW: LG 4163, BenQ 1620, NEC 3500/3520 (should i go for 3500?)

• I do not care about missing bitsetting of DVD-RW, but DVD-R is a must
  • I go for quality than speed
  • If CD-RW was to be take out, it must be at least 2 sheep, whcih will lead to LG 4163.

CD-RW: Plextor Premium

• To my understanding, this do very well on copyright protection, right? (yes for securerom, but safedisc 2.9+?) Does this one do better than LG 4163?

Is there any better DVD-RW that do very well on copyright protection than plextor premium? Any feedback would be greatly appericated!

Thanks in advance.

KG

PS. my grammar sucks as english is my second language, so let me know if you dont understand this :slight_smile:

First of all, I’ll copy and paste my answer to the PM question you sent to me a while ago.

Originally Posted by Kenshin

Thanks for your question but such questions should have been on forum boards only. One of CDFreaks rules is that PM’s should never been used for such questions.

But to answer you in short, different solutions for different people (and in different situtaions.) My recommendation is: get both GSA-4163B and DW1620. That way, you can have the best of the best. The two are too different to be compared directly.

Now, to answer some more,

Bitsetting is specifically for DVD+R and DVD+RW. All the mentioned drives can do bitsetting. GSA-4163b supports bitsetting for single layer and double layer DVD+R, but not for DVD+RW.

Plextor Premium is good, but expensive. In South Korea, Plextor Premium is more expensive than LG GSA-4163B. Otherwise, having both or all is the best.

@Kenshin True, Plextor Premium is expensive here as well, but if you were to get P716A, it cost about the same or little more as if you were to get LG/BenQ and PX-Premium. I do not feel confident of getting a Plextor DVD Burner, so thats why i am splitting up, BenQ/LG for DVD Burner and
plextor for CDRW only.

@Kenshin, quick question, can you tell me which have strengths and weaknesses. That may help me very much. Thanks!

one of these drives seems to be the way to go…but I’m also havin trouble understanding the strengths/weaknesses between them. Is there a simple (as in i’ve never used a dvd burner ever :P) explanation somewhere or can someone do one here?
was almost goin for the benq, not sure why to nbe honest:)…but nowhere here seems to have one in stock…
wanders off to scratch head at test burn screenshots

I went with the NEC3500A because it is a more robust drive. It also burns DVD+R/-Rs well. BenQ has more bells and whistles, which can be important for tweakers.

NEC…quiet drive with broad support for +R/-R media, and an excellent mod firmware community.

There are two big posts in CDFREAKS comparing BenQ with NEC. Use the search bar. They’re both great DVD burners. In the end, I just couldn’t resist the $31 sale price of the NEC 3500A.

You may not be able to locate the end-of-life 3500A. Its replacement is the 3520 with a new main processor. I’ve read mixed reviews with this new drive. It will probably take a few months to come up with a good firmware.

If you want to backuo SAFEDISC then LG GSA-4082B and 4081 will do Safedisc 3.1. The newer LGs wont do 3.1. NEC and PLEX also wont do Safedisc 3.1.

@op1 guess we are in same shoe now. Heres what I looked at the forum entitled “Which 16x DVD writer should I buy?” with little changes. (Source: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=113670)

BenQ:
* DVD write quality: Good, with the latest firmware
* Reading: Good, but there is a riplock (no hacked firmware to remove riplock exists yet)
* Bitsetting: Yes
* PI/PIF scanning: Yes
* Misc: Good customer support/focus; official media overspeeding support (no need to use patched firmwares for overspeeding); the use of PCAV for 8x allows it to burn 8x discs very fast, good 12x and 16x speeds, too

LG:
* DVD write quality: Good (and fast, esp. with the latest model!)
* Reading: Good, but there is a riplock (no hacked firmware to remove riplock exists yet)
* Bitsetting: Yes, DVD+R and DVD+R DL (That forum will say no because it follows the model 4160, not 4163 which now allows bitsetting on certian media)
* PI/PIF scanning: No
* Misc: Good customer support; no hacked firmwares for media overspeeding; DVD write speed can be quite good, depending on which model it is; newer models seem to do quite nicely in the 8x/12x/16x speed department… supports DVD-RAM

Another thing to notice that LG didnt do well on Overburn part, while BenQ is not a 2 sheep writer…

For me personally, I do not care about the overburn part. I am not sure what PI/PIF scanning is for… if its to check how much error it has on the disc, and the review (cdfreak) points out that LG have good quality, why bother checking? By the way, A change to this plan, Plextor Premium is out now. My monitor is start to show some sign of death so I need to save money for that. NEC is out because there is mixing review. (the 3520 one)

so after some more checking it seems the benq is definately not abailable here (new zealand) at this time…
So the ones that are available is either lg4163 of the nec3500 (which is a whopping $6 more)
Should i just toss a coin or choose the nicer looking one? :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously though is there any reason if i buy one im gonna go " dam i wish id bought the other one?
At the moment i intend to use it for movie backups, putting my own footage on and maybe game copy at some point. Also this will be my only DVD drive (currently just have cd + cdrw) so would that make a difference between them?
If i could buy one here for $31 I know which one id be buyin! cheapest i can get here is $166(nz$) at my door.
Any help choosing will be great thanks!!!

is game copy really important to you? if so, LG will be the choice, but if you are going to do a serious dvd burning… both will be fine, but if you will use LOT of DVD+RW, then NEC as LG do not support book setting on DVD+RW.

I hope other people give us more input on that… Oh well

What do you mean by overburn? Overspeed of a DVD+R/-R disk or overburn of a CD-R disk?

• I am saying this hundreds of times here on CDFreaks forums and also on some other places. Not all markets are equal. If you can have ND-3500A for under US$40, that’s good for you but that doesn’t automatically mean everyone who reads these posts can have one for under US$40. ND-3500A is more expensive than LG or BenQ or Lite-On in some other markets. BenQ drives may be cheap in the US as well but many markets don’t have BenQ at all. Keep in mind when most people recommend drives here, they recommend them because they can get them for good prices where they live, not necessarily because the products are good. Therefore, it is extremely important to state where you live and for how much you can buy the listed drives. Timing is also very important. If it’s going to “within one month”, it means waiting a few more weeks is OK during when some new drives might appear for lower prices than the immediate predecessors (which is very common in this industry.)

@Kenshin overburn of a cd-r disk. reviews reported that LG can do up to 94 min instead of 99 minute with other burner. You havent answered my question of the difference between BenQ/LG

I’m not sure whether LG drives can’t do 99 minutes CD-R burning. It was LG CD-R burners among those that first supported 90/90-min CD-R burning. Not interested since the first general availability of DVD+RW 2.4x drives.

What difference between BenQ and LG? You are trying to compare two very different drives. Such comparisons are invalid and not helpful for those who already know the specifications of each. For those who think DVD-RAM matters, LG. For those PIE/PIF/Jitter scanning matters, BenQ. For those who can buy LG GSA-4163B at low cost, LG. For those who can buy BenQ DW1620 Pro at low cost, BenQ.

How many threads of this kind of questions have been posted in this forum? Try to find them yourself. There have been hundreds literally. Just list the review links. Don’t quote to make your own conclusions based on opinions and personal experiences.

I’m sorry to answer in this fashion but threads like this do not help anyone, not even yourself. It just adds confusion. Over time, the same people will just reply less sincerely, omitting Fact 001, Fact 002, Fact 003… and Example 001, Example 002, Example 003… and so on because they have been posted hundreds of times already. How much likely is it new and better answers are going to be posted just to answer another new thread that asks the same question? Zero in most cases.

Reading back, I see I have answered you correctly before.

Originally Posted by Kenshin

Thanks for your question but such questions should have been on forum boards only. One of CDFreaks rules is that PM’s should never been used for such questions.

But to answer you in short, different solutions for different people (and in different situtaions.) My recommendation is: get both GSA-4163B and DW1620. That way, you can have the best of the best. The two are too different to be compared directly.

Or read the reviews. BenQ DW1620, LG GSA-4163B, NEC ND-3500A, Plextor PX-716A, and Plextor Premium drives have all been reviewed on CDFreaks and detailed on CDFreaks forums very many times. If you cannot find an answer on a specific matter, post a new thread. Till then, read the reviews. If you don’t want to spend the time to read all the pages of the reviews, just look for the parts you want to read. If you want more, look for the most comprehensive and conclusive threads on each sub-forums: BenQ forum, LG forum, and so on. There are at least a few “BIG” threads on each. The problem with your thread (and hundreds of other similar threads) is that most answers are just random repetitions.

kenshin thankyou very much for the time it must have taken you to write all that stuff, but err… in a lot less you probably could have actually just told me a couple points on the drives that you obviously know a lot about maybe?
Sorry but the whole reason i asked what i asked is because after reading the reviews and and endless amount of posts I am still totally unclear about the differences as i said before i have never even used a dvd burner let alone owned one and definately dont understand all the technical specs etc…

What difference between BenQ and LG? You are trying to compare two very different drives.

umm…thats the whole point, I dont understand the differences and that is why i was asking…(actually i was asking about nec and lg but heh theyre all the same anyway arent they? joke)

ah well thanks to everyone that posted info…hmmm…maybe i’ll just stick with pen and paper instead :slight_smile:

simple answer, get a BenQ 1620 and a Plex Premium and you won’t be disappointed at all.

@Kenshin:

Between BenQ1620 & LG4163B, which is more likely to improve read/write speeds through firmware revision? Both drives were originally only 2.4x DL, and both have been revised to 4x DL through firmware.

In my area, LG is almost 30$ CDN more than the BenQ. (Mind you, the BenQs are OEM & the LG is retail)

My standalone DVD player will read DVD-R and DVD+RW. So being able to set booktype on DVD+R media is important to me in that it allows me to pick up whichever is cheaper. Both writers appear to be able to do that.

The LG’s DVD-RAM capabilities are nice. Could use it to backup data. But if I didn’t have it, I wouldn’t miss it. Not sure I understand enough to be able to benefit from the BenQ’s quality scanning capabilities.

I don’t care how either handles CD media as I have a LO 52327S, best CD burner around (imho) :cool:

So again it boils down to which drive is more likely to get a boost in speed and /or additional features through firmware?

BTW, as a newbie here, I really do appreciate the time and effort you and others on the forum expend to educate and inform the rest of us. Thanks! :bow:

hey…we agree this time!!!

hehe, yup. been known to happen sometimes.