Decided to buy a burner, Help me find a deal

vbimport

So I’ve decided to buy two burners.

Lite-On iHAS220-06 ( -06 = oem version)

Pioneer DVR-215

I’ve been looking around and haven’t found any deals on either of them. I’m looking to keep the price below $35 shipped for each drive.

If anyone can ferret out a good deal it’s appreciated :slight_smile:

Are you in the states or elsewhere?

If in the states watch newegg.com as they run free shipping deals often. I’ve not looked at the Lite-On you list, but I got the Pioneer 215D for $32 shipped.

Yes, I’m in the US. I’ve put price alerts on Neweggs site in case prices/shipping change.

Can anyone comment on how good the two mentioned drives are, in absolute terms, and in comparison to each other?

If you don’t need LightScribe, you can get the iHAS120 instead.

All,

I have Pioneer 115D and Lite-on LH-20A1H-186. I prefer the Lite-Ons in general because they are cheaper in price. I create dvd’s using +R media. To much trouble to bit set the Pioneer. Can’t get cross flashing to work. Very easy with Liteys. I now purchase only Liteys form Newegg. They currently have one (IDE) for $23.99, shipping is free. I do not care about having the fastest drive. One thing about the Pioneer…quieter than the Lite-On.

The cheapest I’ve seen is $27.99 (before shipping) for the 215D at ZZF.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008446

They don’t have the iHAS220-06, but they do have the iHAS120-04 for $24.99 (before shipping). If you don’t need lightscribe I would actually go with this, since Lite-On seems to update their non-lightscribe drives with firmware more often.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008691

www.pricewatch.com

go to newegg, under DVD burner, hit on “free shipping” and browse the list for w/e you like, I think I saw an LG for 22 bucks shipped last night, newegg change this crap daily so check everyday till you get something you want. (list was pretty big last night, I think there was 33 drives that ships free).

[QUOTE=warlock111;2091879]go to newegg, under DVD burner, hit on “free shipping” and browse the list for w/e you like, I think I saw an LG for 22 bucks shipped last night, newegg change this crap daily so check everyday till you get something you want. (list was pretty big last night, I think there was 33 drives that ships free).[/QUOTE]

I got my lg 22x w/lightscribe there for 24 shipped. Excellent burner!

[QUOTE=warlock111;2091879]go to newegg, under DVD burner, hit on “free shipping” and browse the list for w/e you like, I think I saw an LG for 22 bucks shipped last night, newegg change this crap daily so check everyday till you get something you want. (list was pretty big last night, I think there was 33 drives that ships free).[/QUOTE]

I have the free shipping on burners page as my browser home page. :iagree:

Negritude you are a truly are a freak, that is awesome!

Originally Posted by negritude
I have the free shipping on burners page as my browser home page.:iagree:

[QUOTE=jimmycricket;2092063]Negritude you are a truly are a freak, that is awesome![/QUOTE]
Yes, negritude is on the High Counsel of CD Freakdom:bow:

[QUOTE=rogman49;2091831]All,

I have Pioneer 115D and Lite-on LH-20A1H-186. I prefer the Lite-Ons in general because they are cheaper in price. I create dvd’s using +R media. To much trouble to bit set the Pioneer. Can’t get cross flashing to work. Very easy with Liteys. I now purchase only Liteys form Newegg. They currently have one (IDE) for $23.99, shipping is free. I do not care about having the fastest drive. One thing about the Pioneer…quieter than the Lite-On.[/QUOTE]

It’s not that difficult to crossflash a Pioneer drive. You can even use media code speed edit to enable bitsetting for Pioneer drives.:wink:

about the only thing I buy there is DVD burner, HDD/mobo/CPU are cheaper somewhere else

[QUOTE=DVD_ADDICT;2092111]You can even use media code speed edit to enable bitsetting for Pioneer drives.;)[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly what I’ve done with my Pioneer drives, now they bitset automatically to DVD-ROM.

[QUOTE=rogman49;2091831]All,

I have Pioneer 115D and Lite-on LH-20A1H-186. I prefer the Lite-Ons in general because they are cheaper in price. I create dvd’s using +R media. To much trouble to bit set the Pioneer. Can’t get cross flashing to work. Very easy with Liteys.[/QUOTE]

I also have a Pioneer DVR-115D and a Lite-On LH-20A1H. I don’t use too much the LiteOn for burning because the Pioneer drive burns better; the Pioneer really shines burning DL media and the LiteOn is not so good (at least with Riteks ;)). I only use the Lite-On for burning 4x media because it does burn better than the Pioneer drive.

Ok, an update. I bought a DVR-215 from ZZF and it’s on its way. I still am looking for a iHAS220. I don’t want the 120 because it doesn’t do lightscribe.
Still want to keep the price under $35 shipped.

Note many chipsets don’t work correctly with SATA optical drives, and Silicon Image chipsets are the only ones I know that are known to work correctly. You may need to exchange the DVR-215 for a PATA model if problems are encountered, or you could get SATA adapter with Silicon Image chipset if you have PCI slot available. The VIA chipsets are known to have SATA optical drive issues for one example.

I have a Abit AN8-SLI motherboard. I’m not sure which chipset it has, But the control panel says Nforce4 SATA controller. So I’m guessing it’s in the Nforce4 northbridge.