Decent "Slim" (aka laptop Drives)

vbimport

I recently made the jump from XP to 7 by mail order. I knew I was getting a refurbed Dell Optiplex (& the price was right); what I didn’t know was I was getting the miniature model & it only fits a laptop sized drive (& comes with a brand I’ve never heard of, “TS”).

Can anyone recommend a somewhat available QUALITY DVD burner of that size? (accurate Scanning is a big +, quality cd burns is a fairly big +, & blu is an option). There is only room for one laptop sized drive in each box (I have 2 of them).

I may put them on Craig’s list, depending on the replies I get…

TSST? That’s Samsung. Which Samsung is it?

If it’s not “TSSTcorp”, what’s the full drive ID string?

I’d say Pioneers thin drives are good. That’s just my personal opinion. But as always, Pioneer drives don’t scan… But then, the only thin drives that can scan are Samsung and LiteOn*. If your current drive is decent enough, though, then it probably isn’t worth the trouble of changing it.

(*: newer LG DVDRW drives using MediaTek processors can apparently scan as well, but I have no idea what LG’s model numbers are at right now, so I couldn’t tell you what’s new and what’s old. And there may be one or two old Optiarc thin drives, but I’m not sure who the OEM was for their slim BDRE drive, nor do I know which thin DVDRW drives were of their own design versus which ones were made by QSI…so I wouldn’t know which ones could and could not scan.)

As Albert said TSST drives are Samsung (Toshiba & Samsung have had a joint venture producing optical drive for many years). The TSST ones are just the OEM version and usually have a direct Samsung equivalent.

Samsung’s slim DVD writers have generally had very good writing quality. The old external SN/SE-084 drives were very good.

I have a year-old SE-208DB (the TSxx firmware version) and the writing quality is excellent (especially CD-R/RW) - almost as good as my SH-S202/3 drives. Scanning performance is similar. An internal SN-208DB is available.

But the very latest Samsung/TSST drives are not so good. The later SE-208DB drives with MFxx firmware have significantly worse writing quality (in my experience), also the SE-B18 drives. And I have a Transcend external slim drive which uses an unknown Samsung drive (probably SN-208FB judging by the 512KB buffer) and has difficulty writing the last 300MB of DVDs - high PIE & PIF (although the Transcend firmware may be a factor).

Many of the Optiarc slim DVD writers are rebadged QSI drives. I had one (AD-7580S ?) and it was awful. Check Liggy & Dee’s site for information on which were the genuine Optiarc drives.

If you want a Blu-Ray writer I would also recommend Pioneer. I am extremely impressed with the writing quality of my Pioneer BDR-TD03 on all disc types. It can outperform most of my full-size drives. It is also noticeable better made than my other slim drives. The BDR-TD03 is an older model, but the current Pioneers are probably worth trying. No scanning though.

If you want a slim Blu-Ray writer which can scan, the only option is Samsung/TSST. The earlier SN/SE-506AB & BB drives looked good in terms of writing quality. But the latest CB version had a serious issue writing BD-R discs at 4x(?) speed, which I don’t think has been fixed by a firmware update.

Thank you for the responses. I’ll admit I’d never heard of TSS & assumed it was junk. I will have to do some burns & see how they come out. At this instant, I’m not in a position to post the exact model number, but I will soon. I am curious how it compares in quality to a full sized Optiarc 7200 (my main burner on 3 machines)? I have both 7200-s & 7200-A

“TSST Corp DVD±RW TS-L633C ATA”

Comments on quality greatly appreciated.

If it’s at least in the same basic league as the Optiarc for burns, I’ll probably keep the machines. If not… When I ordered them it was not disclosed that it was a micro pc & had laptop drives.

I got an excellent price ($167 delivered per box with 250gb hd, 3.0 ghz e8400 processor & 4 gb memory; + 32 bit Win 7 pro which I really needed due to legacy software) including a full real Win 7 pro disc (marked “for refurbs”). They are refurbs, but so far seem 100% functional.

Again, I’ve always just assumed that Laptop drives weren’t all that good.

While 2 dvd scans & 1 cd scan are not as good as my Optiarc 7200 & Plextor Premium, the results are better than I expected.

I don’t have a cap of the cd scan handy, but with TY pro’s I usually get around 99/150. With the TSST I got 98/334.

I burned 2 DVD’s. The worst of the 2 is current manufacture TY + pro. I usually get 95 score/500 failures or so. The better of the 2 is NOS Sony TY +. I usually get around 95/150 with that.

Not as good, but not as awful as i expected.

I did notice some small scratches on the dvd’s. Not sure if the drive scratched them, or if the discs were already scratched. I am very careful in handling, but these were both near the end of a batch, & I have noticed that bottom discs in both cakes & spindles tend to be scratched.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2749774]“TSST Corp DVD±RW TS-L633C ATA”

Comments on quality greatly appreciated.
[/QUOTE]
The Accuraterip database says it has a +6 read offset, which as good as confirms it as being Mediatek-based. So it should scan like a full-size Samsung DVD writer (and Lite-On, but without jitter reporting).

A very quick search with Google reveals it has a 2MB buffer, which in itself isn’t important, but it does indicate it is an earlier generation drive (almost certainly a good thing).

Some more basic research suggests it is the OEM version of the Samsung SN-084C, and dates from around spring 2010.

As I mentioned before, the SN/SE-084 drives were considered to be very good drives - among the best slim DVD writers ever. Arachne did a review of an SE-084 for the site.

So it should be a very good writer. But even the best drives could be crippled by Dell-specific firmware. It used to happen a lot. Dell, Apple and other big computer manufacturers would install great drives, but for no apparent reason ruin them with their own OEM firmware.

If you can confirm its identity and/or are prepared to take the risk, it may be possible to crossflash it with Samsung SN/SE-084C firmware.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2749875]The Accuraterip database says it has a +6 read offset, which as good as confirms it as being Mediatek-based. So it should scan like a full-size Samsung DVD writer (and Lite-On, but without jitter reporting).

A very quick search with Google reveals it has a 2MB buffer, which in itself isn’t important, but it does indicate it is an earlier generation drive (almost certainly a good thing).

Some more basic research suggests it is the OEM version of the Samsung SN-084C, and dates from around spring 2010.

As I mentioned before, the SN/SE-084 drives were considered to be very good drives - among the best slim DVD writers ever. Arachne did a review of an SE-084 for the site.

So it should be a very good writer. But even the best drives could be crippled by Dell-specific firmware. It used to happen a lot. Dell, Apple and other big computer manufacturers would install great drives, but for no apparent reason ruin them with their own OEM firmware.

If you can confirm its identity and/or are prepared to take the risk, it may be possible to crossflash it with Samsung SN/SE-084C firmware.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! They’re surprisingly decent pc’s despite the miniature size.