Decent Lite-on for blu-ray scanning

vbimport

I know putting lite-on and “decent” in the same sentence is a bit funny.

but what is the best lite-on drive for blu-ray scaning hopefully something with 8x bd read

is there any difference between IHES208-08 and iHES108-29

108 - no lightscribe

The IHES208-08 is what most of us are using for scanning, join us :wink:

Does the IHES206 scan as well as the IHES208?

can the 108 be used as a scanner? I have a chance to pick one up for lower price then 208

I have not seen a single 108 scan that I can remember. “2601” might know.

Writer Pioneer BDR-S05 scanned Liteon iHES108

Does anyone has any info, other that the typical lower is better, on how to measure blu-ray burns?

This is all we have to go by that I know of:

Quoted from cdrlabs and c’t magazine.

“Long Distance Code (LDC) and Burst Indicator Subcode (BIS). While it’s still too early to know what “good” results should look like, c’t magazine has stated that the average LDC should stay below 13 and the maximum BIS should not exceed 8. In my own testing, I’ve found that the LDC reported by CD Speed is considerably higher than 13.”

[QUOTE=vroom;2480946]Does anyone has any info, other that the typical lower is better, on how to measure blu-ray burns?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2480978]This is all we have to go by that I know of:

“Long Distance Code (LDC) and Burst Indicator Subcode (BIS). While it’s still too early to know what “good” results should look like, c’t magazine has stated that the average LDC should stay below 13 and the maximum BIS should not exceed 8. In my own testing, I’ve found that the LDC reported by CD Speed is considerably higher than 13.”[/QUOTE]

Thats something to start, but i believe that it will take some time to be sure what is a good or bad scan, so for me it’s still the lower the better.

I just ran several scans of a Verbatim 4x BD-R that I burned on an LG GGW-H20L (my BDR-205 is on order), at different scanning speeds and on two similar but different scanners (iHES206 and iHES208). I also tried scanning withn a DH401S but kept getting either ODC errors or flaky behavior. For comparison I also scanned two commercial, pressed discs with the iHES208 at 6x. TRTs and ScanDisc results were perfect on both drives for all discs. Here’s the results for the Verbatim on the iHES206. 4x seems to be the best scanning speed for this drive.

Here’s the results from the iHES208. No clear “best” scanning speed for this drive from these results, although 2x seems slightly better.

Here’s the results for the two pressed discs. The first is “The Road Warrior” and the second is “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”. Notice the difference in quality between the two. Both play fine on a Sony BD player.

are the lite-on drives bad at all? Looking at the IHES108-29 which is a very good price in Canada for a 8x BD-ROM reader. Just curious though how long would it take to rip a BD-R 25GB vs BD-R DL 50GB?

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2480978]This is all we have to go by that I know of:

“Long Distance Code (LDC) and Burst Indicator Subcode (BIS). While it’s still too early to know what “good” results should look like, c’t magazine has stated that the average [B]LDC should stay below 13 and the maximum BIS should not exceed 8[/B]. In my own testing, I’ve found that the LDC reported by CD Speed is considerably higher than 13.”[/QUOTE]

if that the case almost every BD burn is bad.

be careful with your disc, don’t blame this on CMC, this disc had a small smudge on it, and it left one of those “lightscribe” dots.

otherwise would have been a great disc,make sure you check your disc well before burning.

this disc is about 2 + years old, still perfectly redable, but would not call it good.

another 2+ year old disc, i would call this a good disc, not perfect but good

NOTE; scanning speed at 6x

i still don’t 100% trust Lite-on scanning

most of you heard about the horrible Ritek disc by now.

here is example of Ritek BR2 that is totally unreadable, lite-on, pioneer, lg can’t read anything from this disc.

look at the max values.

now look at this Philips disc, out of 10 burned Philips disc I had one with errors on it.
[B]values towards the end on this one Philips disc are much higher then on Ritek disc, but suprise suprice, the Philips IS STILL READABLE.[/B]

my questions is how can you trust these scans?

for Philips sake, this is how rest of my Philips discs look like, the above one could be one bad apple.