Dead SH-W162C not recognized by BIOS

I tried to upgrade the firmware on my SH-W162C…unfortunately…I used the wrong firmware… :doh: …now the drive is unrecognized by BIOS…I had to remove it to get my PC to post. When connected to PC the activity light blinks steady and won’t respond to the eject button. I can’t post with it connected…therefore, I can’t do the “DOS Boot/Flash”. Is there any way to recover the drive?

It is beyond warrenty (6 mos. old) and Samsung.Com’s Support didn’t respond to my queries…any help is greatly appreciated.

Thnx for your time…

Hi and welcome!

If your drive isn’t even recognised by the BIOS and prevents your system from booting, then it is really dead. Also, there are no tools for this new generation of drives. Now, you have a nice motorized coffee cup holder.
Sorry, but it seems, you’d have to buy a new drive.

The strange thing is: Why did Samsung’s flasher allow you to install the wrong firmware to your drive?

Michael

Thnx for the expeditious reply!! Unfortunately…that’s not what I wanted to hear… :sad: …It actually failed on the firmware flash…but rendered it useless.

My question is…Why isn’t there a better method of upgrading firmware in hardware devices? We have Technologies of Gods!! Surely we can devise a more reliable method. Also, the tech companies of today should show some compassion and provide better support (e.g. Instructions for fail-safe firmware upgrades in the box).

It was my first attempt to flash any device…I have learned a very valuable lesson…at a price.

Again, Thnx for responding quickly…You’ve confirmed what I didn’t want to accept, but at least I can stop trying to recover it.

Hi,

There is. Most LG drives go into a “safe mode” after a bad flash and can be recovered easily by re-flashing the proper firmware.

Also issues with the system or some drivers (copy protections, virtual disc drives and similar) may also affect a successful firmware flash.

Also, the tech companies of today should show some compassion and provide better support (e.g. Instructions for fail-safe firmware upgrades in the box).
Hey, they want to sell new drives. They don’t want to keep you using the same hardware for a longer time :bigsmile:

Michael

Heheh!! I’m a firm believer that Better Tech Support and Customer Satisfaction [B]has[/B] and [B]will always[/B] sell more products… :wink:

Thnx for the enlightenment… :slight_smile:

Ich bedanke mich!

Unfortunately, there are only few companies, that think this way:(

Ich bedanke mich!

Bitte schön, gern geschehen :slight_smile: (= You’re welcome)

Michael