Dead pc

just bought new HIS radeon9800 pro card so uninstalled drivers for my old ge force FX5600SE used driver cleaner to remove any traces of old drivers removed old card reformatted drive loaded win xp back on loaded all other drivers on then direct x 9b then card drivers updated to catylst 4.8 from ati updated n force 2 drivers on a7n8x dlx m/b restarted but kept restartingas soon as welcome screen appeared phoned mesh pc help told me to do fresh install of xp and to remove then replace M/B battery did this then rebooted pc now have blank screen with message BIOS ROM CHECK SUM ERROR DETECTING FLOPPY DRIVE A MEDIA INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER . Have tried delete key on boot to access set up but no response from that or any other keys POST beep is longer and a more flat tone any help please system is mesh athlon 2800+ 512 ram ddr asus a7n8x dlx m/b

Dude use some fullstops. Here are some incase you lack them… :wink:

I don’t understand why they told you to do a fresh install of windows. I understand even less about the removal of the battery. There are VERY few reasons that need you to remove the battery. Installing a new graphics card is not one of them by a long way.

Because you have removed the battery the BIOS settings have been lost. These need to be setup again. Check your motherbaord manual for the correct buttons to get into your BIOS.

BIOS ROM CHECK SUM ERROR <- This is a little worrying because it seems to say that your BIOS is knackered. Hopefully it just needs setting up although I am not 100% confident about this.

If you read your motherboard manual there might be an option for resetting to deafults by switching a jumper on your motherboard.

Have you tried putting a boot disk in to see if you can access your hard drives.

Hopefully that will get you started.

are use using a “raid” hard drive

have you downloaded the bios from the motherboard website and reinstalled it, that mite work.

sombody at meshpc is a BOFH I suspect. :slight_smile:

If you could do a fresh install of windows…then think it’s safe to say, some of your ide drives are working.

have you double checked to see that you didn’t bump either the data or power cable to you fdd. You fdd is your a drive and the bios can’t seem to see it proper. I’d start there before dloading and flashing bios.

ive checked all cables and connections and they all seem ok.Have read through manual again it says to remove battery move a jumper setting across then back reinstall battery then power up and hold down delete key.Done this and still no joy can not get any response at all.Any more help would be welcomed. Thanks

how old is your pc?

put your old geforce graphics card back in and see if things work better. if they do, well this means that your system is still ok and it’s the ATI card that might be no good , or somehow incompatible with some hardware …

pc is 10 months old and is mesh athlon 2800+ ive got 3 years on site warranty but after having had it back to them once it came back still not working right.Ive already rung them on this matter and was told to remove battery move jumper cap across then back. Did this reinserted battery now problem as above.Mesh try to solve problems over the phone but this in some cases dosn’t work.Also thier software help line is £1 per minute.

did you try re installing the old video card as Ghosters suggested? Honestly, been doing this for years, and never heard of a tech actually say…remove the cmos battery. I’ve spent my time on helldesk…walked users through the basics, even broke the rules and said…ok…try this. They never should have had you tinker with the main board physically.

Having said that…we are already in deep water, and you cracked the case…so past warranty issues.

I know you said you checked the cables to the floppy…but lets be safe. Remove and reseat “all” or you ribbon cables, remove and reseat all of you add on cards as well.

before you plug your moniter into the box…reseat it’s power cord to it.

plug in…reboot.

Let me know if it’s still a dead stick. :slight_smile:

By re-seat all the cables…I mean both ends…main board and drives.

I’d also Strongly suggest you take advantage of that “on-site” warranty, as you called and they botched it…:slight_smile:

yes i tried old card back in same result nothing happens.Been through all ribbon connections and unplugged refitted and all other connectors .Had all cards and memory out and refitted still same message appears BIOS ROM CHECK SUM ERROR .Message underneath says DETECTING FLOPPYDRIVE A MEDIA INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. Ive looked through manual and it says you can remove battery then cap across to short pins then return both then reboot mith original settings.Id like to get Mesh out but its a long process many phone calls first time then had to return to base. Two weeks later came back and still didn’t work right Be nice to know of anyone else in similar situation.

yes i tried old card back in same result nothing happens.Been through all ribbon connections and unplugged refitted and all other connectors .Had all cards and memory out and refitted still same message appears BIOS ROM CHECK SUM ERROR .Message underneath says DETECTING FLOPPYDRIVE A MEDIA INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. Ive looked through manual and it says you can remove battery then cap across to short pins then return both then reboot with original settings.Id like to get Mesh out but its a long process many phone calls first time then had to return to base. Two weeks later came back and still didn’t work right Be nice to know of anyone else in similar situation.