Dead Liteon 401 recovery

Hi all,

Just killed my liteon as I was trying to use mtkflashWin.

It’s a 401@411@811 HSOK that worked perfectly. I just wanted to utilise modded original liteon windows flasher in order to properly flash HS0K (allegedly bin file flashing doesn’t do the whole job).

So I tried a modfied original liteon HS0K flasher - left my drive with an orange flashing led.

After that I tried flashing HS0K.bin using mtkflashWin (ATAPI). BIG MISTAKE! Things happened very quickly and flash was done. After reboot, the PC wouldn’t boot, not recognising the LITEON anymore.

The drive is now as dead, won’t respond to eject button, no lights, nothing.

I Tried mtkflsh in dos, and each time managed to successfully flash 15 banks with various fwares (811s, 411s, 401s) but drive remains dead :frowning:

I’ve tried using mtkflash 1.55 (wouldn’t work), 1.62 and 1.80 which flashed 15 banks but to no avail.

Tried two different systems, a dell and a custom made (asus a7n8x). Managed to flash successfully as mentioned but drive still dead…

Have no intention of returnin the drive to liteon as this is entirely my own fault, but really liked the drive (worked perfectly @811) so if anyone has any ideas on how to save this crippled puppy, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Bashiri

Sounds like an eeprom and not a fw problem…

Have you tried using mtkflash 1.80.1? (just remember that with 1.80.1 you don’t need the /b command)

Thanks for responding.

yes, I’ve tried the latest 1.80.1 but no luck… Same thing happens. Flashing seams to go fine, but drive remains dead after reboot…

I was thinking of eprom myself. Is there a way I can re-flash my original 401 eprom and fware from dos?

Running out of ideas :frowning:

Originally posted by bashiri
I was thinking of eprom myself. Is there a way I can re-flash my original 401 eprom and fware from dos?

No.

The only other possible thing I can think of is to try flashing the drive on different IDE channels.

If it is an EEPROM problem and you can’t see the drive from Windows then recovering the drive is hopeless.

I have tried secondary master and secondary slave so far, with same results.

Will try primaries to see how that goes.

Tried to hot plug the drive to already booted XP and windowns can’t see the drive / "Lieutenant"Flash and mtnWinflash won’t work as they can’t find the drive…

I will try few more things, constantly searching for new ideas…

Already ordered a new Liteon, but wouln’t mind keeping this one for my other system if I can bring it back from the dead…

This drive eas a modded 401@411@811 before it died - mod was done correctly and all worked just fine before I killed it.

Which fware should I flash to it with mtkflash? 811, 411, or 401?

Well if the eeprom is still 811S then use the 811S fw.

yes, makes sense, will try 811 fwares again.

Many thanks for trying to help.

No problem, good luck.

What is the right way to go back from 401@411@811 to 401 drive? Do I just put the 401 EEPROM and after that 401 firmware, or do I have to reboot between these two steps? Any other method?

If you tried to use MTK WinFlash, then the device is probably just disabled. Try Uninstalling anything under “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers” in Device Manager and restarting.

The best way to try to recover the drive is to first flash with an old 401S firmware, then flash the EEPROM with your original backup. When using mtkflash 1.80.1, remember not to use the “/b” flag, but do use it with any older version. I do not have good luck flashing on my A7N8X, so I usually move my drive to an older A7V133 Motherboard setup for recovery.

Thanks for that,

I tried flashing the drive with the early 401 fware using the new version 1.80.1 (no /b flag) - this is what I used - “mtkflash 4 W HS0E.bin”

Have an older dell system that I use to do the flashing and all seam to go well, 15 banks get flashed, asked to reboot, but on restart, drive still doesn’t respond to eject - no lights, nothing.

As far as bios and windows are concerned, there is nothong at the end of the ide cable :frowning: Is there still point trying to uninstall devices from windows etc in this situation?

As I cannot get the drive to be recognised by bios/windows, I guess I cannot reflash the old eprom back.

Is there any way to flash back the old eprom from dos?

Use mtkflash to flash with the old LDW-401S firmware, ES07, from my site. You mean that banks 0-15 are flashed, that is 16 banks.

Yup, 0to14 - updating and percentage goes to 100 for each and OK! as a result. The last line (15th flash) says updating…Finished! (405C)

Just tried it with the ES07 flash from your site.

Flashing seams to go just fine as mentioned above, but drive remains dead, not responding to eject :frowning:

Where is the memorial service going to be?

Hehe, my garden methinks.

Might put some petrol over it and burn it outside my house, like vikings used to.

It was a good drive, best one I had for years :frowning:

Is there anything else I could try? Any ways of flashing the eprom in dos?

Hi,

If you had another 811s, you could try to do a hot swap right before pressing the ‘write’ button to write the eeprom… just an idea. Of course, quite risky… you know that IDE interface is not meant to be hot-swappable.

Regards
FTC

Originally posted by bashiri
Any ways of flashing the eprom in dos?

(as I already stated) No.

Well technically there might be a utility, but you would have to contact LiteOn and convince them to leak the tool to you. That would be great and I’m sure many people here would like it, but in reality the answer is still no.

Originally posted by FTC
[B]Hi,

If you had another 811s, you could try to do a hot swap right before pressing the ‘write’ button to write the eeprom… just an idea. Of course, quite risky… you know that IDE interface is not meant to be hot-swappable.

Regards
FTC [/B]

Or if you used a USB enclosure that might work…

Originally posted by Ssseth
Or if you used a USB enclosure that might work…

That’s not really what we’re talking about here…