Dead HDD

vbimport

Hi :frowning:

Yesterday my WD10EADS (1 TB green power HDD) decided to die, so I lost about 800GB of data :doh:

Yes, I know that backup is the cardinal rule, but that disc was my backup drive, so I lost all my backups :doh::doh::doh:

I read somewhere about the “freezer method”, but it didn’t work. What I did was put the drive into the freezer for a couple of hours, and then I installed it on an external box, but nothing changed.

When I switch on the box, the drive emits a sort of buzzing noise, it repeats the buzz 4-5 times, and then nothing happen. The drive makes no clicks, only that sort of buzz. I never heard a drive making these noises :eek: I’m not sure that platters are spinning, because placing a hand over the disk I can’t notice any vibration.

Windows doesn’t see the drive and the disk manager is not able to see the disc either :doh:

Can I assume that the disc is definitely dead? Maybe I did an error in the “freezer” method? Can someone suggest me the correct procedure? How long the drive should stay in the freezer? Should I connect it to the USB box immediately after removing it from the freezer or I should wait for some time?

I tried two different sata --> USB adapters, so this should exclude the adapter as the reason why windows didn’t recognize the disk. I also tried both adapters with a working disk, and windows recognized the drive correctly with both adapters.

Any suggestion is welcome :bigsmile:

Well i dont have any idea about the freezer method, but i can only say that you might want to try changing the pcb of your drive, and pray it works, there are companies that can do that but i am not sure if it’s worth it, especially if we are talking about movies/music.

I don’t have a spare PCB, and certainly is not worth to spend a lot of money for a data recovery company.

If I have to spend money, I’ll get a couple of more disks, to save two backups instead of one :doh:

I thought that WD was a reliable brand, but then I read about the GP series being very prone to become damaged, so I think that I’ll not get another GP for sure.

The RE series is very costly (almost the double of a regular HDD). Maybe the series black is the best choice?

Every company has it’s bad products, so it’s pure luck, i still have a seagate 7200.11 that works (with the update firmware).
I agree that the RE series is very good, but to expensive for backup with that money you can get two slower disks (5900 rpm) and probably save some extra Eur.

The PCB trick is the one that has the best change of working, but it will require to have an extra disk (same specs) and also to know what you are doing.
You can search if there is any company that can do that in Italy, and how much will it cost.

I’m checking for prices, and indeed the RE series has a too high price. I can get two samsung spinpoint F3 1 TB drives for the same price of a 1 TB RE3 disk :doh:

Do you think that is better (for reliability) to get a NAS and leaving it running 24/7 or using a plain sata --> usb adapter? If I’m not wrong, a high number of power on-power off is more dangerous for a disk than the 24/7 spinning.

Having quality power and surge suppression is important too. Get a tripp lite brand surge suppressor.

I’ve never put a HDD in the freezer but there is risk of water condensing and freezing to the drive, so a “freezer bag” should be used when doing that.

I believe you have an ATOM D510 system, you could build your own NAS very easy, and a have low energy and quiet NAS, not to mention a fast NAS.
You could use FreeNAS OS, once it’s setup you don’t even need a screen, mouse or keyboard. You maintain it via its web interface.
The latest version can be installed on a small partition on the main/only HDD, or in a multi HDD setup.

Regarding HDD, i think your’s is dead, and there is no such thing as 100% reliable.
I have HDD from most manufacturers, i’ve only ever had one drive fail and that was an ageing Maxtor.
I have friend who lost a 1TB WD, and another who had a Seagate and Samsung F1 fail. My dad has had a couple of Hitachi fail, so there is no such thing as a 100% reliable brand. :slight_smile:

Are you sure it´s dead? Maybe it´s just resting, or stunned???

:confused:

The idea of building a NAS indeed is very interesting :iagree:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2531893]Are you sure it´s dead? Maybe it´s just resting, or stunned???

:confused:[/QUOTE]

LMAO!! :bigsmile:

:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=geno888;2531861]
Yesterday my WD10EADS (1 TB green power HDD) decided to die, so I lost about 800GB of data :doh:

Yes, I know that backup is the cardinal rule, but that disc was my backup drive, so I lost all my backups :doh::doh::doh:[/quote]So you still have the source files, and no data is lost. Simply get another HDD and backup your data again :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2531924]So you still have the source files, and no data is lost. Simply get another HDD and backup your data again :bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Around 200GB of file were an unique copy, so I actually lost some data :doh:

I was planning to burn these (and delete the unnecessary) today, but of course the drive decided to die first :a