De-force subtitle streams?

vbimport

What’s the quickest and easiest way (software, basic procedure) to remove the forced flag on a subtitle stream ?

I usually just make ISO backups using Decrypter, I don’t suppose there’s a built-in option to de-force subtitles in that program (maybe in file or IFO mode or something like that) ?

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Probably not what you want to hear, but I know Recode identifies “forced” subtitle tracks and it is really easy to unselect them. If you burn DL’s all the time, you can still run it through nero; with everything at 100%, it doesn’t take Nero long at all to reauthor the disk as an image prior to burning (let recode burn your disk or burn to the hard drive to burn with DVDD). I never noticed that in DVDD but maybe someone else did. Maybe through the stream processing, you can unselect subtitle streams?

I take it you are a Nero Recode user which is what I use with great success. But can you tell me why on my copies any subtitles needed are missing, I have only just discovered this on The Bourne Supremacy and The Pianist where there is some Russian and German spoken. Is ther someting that I should be doing to correct this?

Uh, no.

There is a subtitle tab where you pick which subtitles you want in the compilation. Nero has never let me down - it always includes the ones I ask for and excludes the ones I don’t. Maybe you have it set to only select subtitles of a specific language by default, and this is not the language you want?

Oh, I think maybe I see what you mean. In some movies the language spoken is mostly language “a” but sometimes has dialogue in language “b”. Sometimes, language “b” appears in subtitles during the theatrical run (like when Sean Connery speaks Russian in the beginning of the Hunt for Red October … or when Aragorn and others speak Elvish in the Lord of the Rings).

Often, when the DVD is released, the subtitles appear just as they did in the theater … on the video track itself. Othertimes, they are removed from the video track (where they are harder to read in the smaller size of a TV screen) and placed in a seperate subtitle track … which is in addition to the normal subtitle track (by which I mean not the closed captions but the subtitle track that only has the transcribed dialogue (and not descriptions of the audio like “spooky music plays”).

In this case, you need to select the regular subcaption track (the main language, probably the biggest size file) and any additional tracks with the same language. They might appear as being “forced”, which means they play by default without being selected, and are usually smaller files.

Don’t make the mistake of taking all “forced” tracks though. If the forced track is in another than “your” preferred language, you won’t want it. I had to reburn Band of Brothers because the forced-french kept telling me the same as the included subtitles on the video track, but of course, in french (stuff like the date and location of certain scenes). I’d included it the first time because I thought they’d be the subtitles that had English translations of French Dialogue. Ooops! It was really just subtitles for people listening to the French audio track who presumably wouldn’t be able to read the English words that appeared from time to time in the movie.

It’s really strange, I have just copied Star Wars where there are scenes where Alien is spoken and you get the english subtitles. Yet on my copy the subtitles did not show. I used Recode 2 ‘Recode main movie to DVD’. I had all the english boxes ticked. Now as an experiment I did the same using Clone DVD and also DVD shrink and would you believe it, they copied as the original. Now why the hell does this not happen with recode 2 which I rate as good software and I have the latest version.

AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 handles forced subtitles perfectly.

It must have been on a different subtitle track … probably one of the ones you de-selected. It’s best to use the preview feature to see which tracks do what if you aren’t sure. Sounds like those subtitles would have been in a forced track, since they would want you to be able to see them even if you aren’t viewing the normal subtitles.