Ddr2 memory

vbimport

how concerned should i be about what DDR2 memory i use with my gigabyte motherboard? my question is what brands will work without conflict if any? trying to find a gigabyte brand. is there a gigabyte card that will work?

are there other sites to shop besides Newegg? would like to be able to compare products and prices…

If you go to the Gigabyte site and look up your motherboard there may be a list of memory that has been tested with this board. Not all brands will be included in such a list, but it gives a starting point.

I normally just stick to major brands with memory…Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, Mushkin, etc. They generally have a lifetime guarantee on desktop memory. I’ve had very good luck with G.Skill also.

Places to shop…Amazon, Directron, Newegg, Mwave…I’m sure there are many others if you are in the US. Newegg is just the easiest to navigate for me.

Did a quick surf of the sites you named, Kerry. I, too am partial to Newegg.
Might be 'cause it’s the site I am familiar with.
I’ll keep the others nearby so I can compare things like products, prices, and delivery time. As always, thanks Kerry.

Something to add: Use standard RAM.

So-called “Overclocker Memory” with heatspreader, LEDs, yaddayaddayadda is not worth the money. Also it is not more reliable, especially since these modules often need higher operation voltage than the standard stuff.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2578002]Something to add: Use standard RAM.

So-called “Overclocker Memory” with heatspreader, LEDs, yaddayaddayadda is not worth the money. Also it is not more reliable, especially since these modules often need higher operation voltage than the standard stuff.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I agree standard memory work just fine and make sure when you do order the ram they are matching sticks or dual package. I would recommend from mixing various RAM into the system but keeping all the DDR2 the same through to match specs. That how my memory system is I have 4 DDR2 sticks of Kingsten memory for 4G all dual and being the same have same timing and perform without any problems.

Yes, but DO understand that you need to get the correct DDR2 memory

there is a difference between the PC2-3200 memory used by the Dell I set up for my
mother and the PC2-5300 required by my desktop and the PC2-6400 required for my “new” build

Also while you can put faster memory on a slow mother board it won’t make your computer perform any better.

As a practice if I must BUY memory for an older computer I generally go with the fastest
memory that’ll work, not because it improves performance, but because the faster grades of DDR2 tend to be cheaper and potentionally more useful as donor parts when the computer it’s
installed in has outlived whatever remaining usefulness it currently has…

AD

Thanks, everyone for the advice/suggestions. It’s a fairly new motherboard just bought it from newegg. Says use DDR2 so that’s what I’m reaching for. Been reading about 800 and 1600 and things like overkill… This is my first DIY, so any and all input will be highly appreciated.

The point I was trying to make is that there is a Range of DDR2
and you really want to use the correct one.

I manage some older Dell Pentium4 computers that use DDR2 PC2-3200

My personal Desktop an HP dc7800 REQUIRES DDR2 PC2-5300, but mine was shipped with PC2 6400

Go by what the specifications of the motherboard call for.

but in general it doesn’t hurt to go one step faster substituting PC2-8500 for PC2-6400 because the faster memory might be more useful in your NEXT build, particularly if it’s only a dollar or two more.

AD

[QUOTE=baggman;2578341]Thanks, everyone for the advice/suggestions. It’s a fairly new motherboard just bought it from newegg. Says use DDR2 so that’s what I’m reaching for. Been reading about 800 and 1600 and things like overkill… This is my first DIY, so any and all input will be highly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

For me if the price is the same for 800 and 1600 and either DDR2 will fit your board. I myself would go with the 1600. My board will use 666/800/1600 so I went with 1600 cause they were the same price and specs were roughly in the same area. But if you have to use kingsten memory check and see what they say about your board memory specs and configuration and then you can use Newegg and search from their listing and then you can see what your looking at and what will suit your need. That doesn’t mean you buy kingsten memory but I use that as a guide to know what the memory specs should be but also consult that motherboard owner manual as well as the company motherboard site for update to the memory you can use and their configurations.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2578384]For me if the price is the same for 800 and 1600 and either DDR2 will fit your board. I myself would go with the 1600. My board will use 666/800/1600 so I went with 1600 cause they were the same price and specs were roughly in the same area. But if you have to use kingsten memory check and see what they say about your board memory specs and configuration and then you can use Newegg and search from their listing and then you can see what your looking at and what will suit your need. That doesn’t mean you buy kingsten memory but I use that as a guide to know what the memory specs should be but also consult that motherboard owner manual as well as the company motherboard site for update to the memory you can use and their configurations.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will probably search for what I can use in 1600. How much attention should I pay to voltalge? Am using AMD Phenom II x4 840.Heard it will lose speed if you use over 6GB RAM. Some thing about the 800 using 1.7 volts and the 1600 using 2.1 volts…

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2578348]The point I was trying to make is that there is a Range of DDR2
and you really want to use the correct one.

I manage some older Dell Pentium4 computers that use DDR2 PC2-3200

My personal Desktop an HP dc7800 REQUIRES DDR2 PC2-5300, but mine was shipped with PC2 6400

Go by what the specifications of the motherboard call for.

but in general it doesn’t hurt to go one step faster substituting PC2-8500 for PC2-6400 because the faster memory might be more useful in your NEXT build, particularly if it’s only a dollar or two more.

AD[/QUOTE]

Nice touch on the one step faster… Makes for good doner parts.

If you can’t think ahead to what parts are going to be useful you’ll always be a step behind

I’m ALWAYS thinking ahead…

I eventually wind up with ALL the coputers I work on

I make the point that even a turkey that’s been picked clean to the bone can still make soup.

AD